Box turtles. What are we?? Help

Heide

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Hi Im Heide. Last year I was given two 10 year old box turtles. After a lot of reaching we are all three doing well. I thought they were mexican box turtles because my friend had gotten their parents about 50 or so years ago I have not been able to find a picture that looks like them. I was hoping you could help me out.

04EC00B5-815C-4C82-BAF5-1909A98954AE.jpegF323E881-1060-4350-A7F6-1781AD7DA8A7.jpegB599DF24-10AF-4BF2-82B4-8122D435DB07.jpeg36CBC59F-1A0A-4108-8C61-24F8A02FF1E2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The first two look like three toed box turtles, the third I can't tell. They also look pretty rough. Their shell is not suppose to look like that. They were, or are suffering from mbd from not being raised correctly.

Heide

Nevada
The first two look like three toed box turtles, the third I can't tell. They also look pretty rough. Their shell is not suppose to look like that. They were, or are suffering from mbd from not being raised correctly.
Not three toed. Were raised in a yard and fed only some times. Sense I’ve had them they have been given supplements to their diets because I could tell their shells didn’t look good. After this winters burmate they are happy and active. Thanks for your response. All advice gladly received. Thanks

6CEF09E5-FCD3-4822-AE79-543FF4CE8FE3.jpeg0F04DAC4-D010-43EF-B8E1-13F5D0BCE91D.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They look like three toed to me also. Maybe if you take them out and line them up so we can see their shells better????

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Turtle in the top photo looks to have severe MBD. Shell should be taller. I hope you can help them.

Heide

Nevada
Turtle in the top photo looks to have severe MBD. Shell should be taller. I hope you can help them.
Don’t know what that is. Could you please tell me. Also what can be done for that problem. Thanks

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Metabolic Bone disease. You can't do much now. It is something that needs to be prevented. You can google it for Box turtles.

Heide

Nevada
Metabolic Bone disease. You can't do much now. It is something that needs to be prevented. You can google it for Box turtles.
Okay I’ve read about it. I saw the problem when I got them. I know their diet was only what they could get in the yard in California. With the occasional treat of lettuce and berries.also worms. My two are 10 years old. For the last year I have been trying to get a better diet for them. Plus supl

Heide

Nevada
First two pictures are my female. The other two are my male
Okay I’ve read about it. I saw the problem when I got them. I know their diet was only what they could get in the yard in California. With the occasional treat of lettuce and berries.also worms. My two are 10 years old. For the last year I have been trying to get a better diet for them. Plus supl
This

0EB5A41E-FA0F-48AA-99C1-FD29D4C5C212.jpeg5517F8CA-BC01-4736-AF88-13562CC85DB3.jpeg

Heide

Nevada
First two pictures are my female. The other two are my male
This

Attachments

• D7A0E294-1CB2-43E4-9633-673FE6BB571D.jpeg
    D7A0E294-1CB2-43E4-9633-673FE6BB571D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 8E4A0259-5B0E-4002-BA0D-F30CE8D18D96.jpeg
    8E4A0259-5B0E-4002-BA0D-F30CE8D18D96.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13

Heide

Nevada
lol still don’t what they are. I keep them separate in the house during the winter because the female keeps mounting my male and I think it stresses him out Is this normal behavior. As if they don’t have enough problems.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Are you sure they're not three Toed box turtles? They certainly look like three Toed's. Not all three toed box turtles have three toes on the back limbs some have four.

Heide

Nevada
Are you sure they're not three Toed box turtles? They certainly look like three Toed's. Not all three toed box turtles have three toes on the back limbs some have four.
Did not know that they could have four toes. Thus my confusion. So its possible that they are three toed. Any other way to tell?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Yes, three toed box turtles can have 4 toes on the back legs. They would have 5 on the front. Your turtles have some of classic markings of three toed box turtles. Any gender of turtle can mount another as an act of dominance and that will stress the meeker turtle. Definitely keep them separated if they are in a smaller set up. If you can get them outside in a large area they would probably be ok together. Even then, you would have to observe them closely to see how they are getting along.

Heide

Nevada
Yes, three toed box turtles can have 4 toes on the back legs. They would have 5 on the front. Your turtles have some of classic markings of three toed box turtles. Any gender of turtle can mount another as an act of dominance and that will stress the meeker turtle. Definitely keep them separated if they are in a smaller set up. If you can get them outside in a large area they would probably be ok together. Even then, you would have to observe them closely to see how they are getting along.
Thanks. That really helps.