box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
Hi, I just wanted to write about my sweet little box turtle. I got her from someone who had too many box turtles and she had been kept in a chicken coop enclosure with 20+ other box turtles and chickens. The lady was very nice but I thought it strange that she kept them on little pebbles with chickens. Well I got four and one of them got out the other day, she is like Maggies Bob and always looking for a way to escape. She is in an outdoor turtle pen and is missing. I am so sad. I can't find her anywhere and am afraid I won't see her again. She was my "little girl" I adored her. She would come when I called her name and was always eager for the worms and treats I would give her. She let me rub her head and was never shy of me. I really miss her and I hope someone finds her and brings her back. She was my favorite of my box turtles and I dearly love the box turtles. They are so fun and personable. By the way she was an ornate box turtle and just so pretty.

Mky2k

5 Year Member
Central New Jersey
:( I could not imagine something like this happening. Hope you find her. Good luck!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If you can, get down on your hands and knees and look under every bush and plant. They will dig under a plant and bury themselves. The best way to search is to crawl on all fours. Good luck I hope you find her.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Yes, the best thing is to search under everything, while talking.

I had both of my girls escape, I started to systematically cut down all larger plants by hand. After about 10 minutes of "trimming" a bush I turned around to see Cleo sitting behind me. I do not know where she was hiding, but just by being in the area she heard me and came out.

She heard me, because my silly dog was trying to help my gardening, and only sits still if I continue to call him a good boy. It makes me sound nuts.

Good luck

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Also try spraying your yard with a hose. Box Turtles usually come out after a rain to find worms.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have tried all and they are very adept at getting out, as stated, because they love to dig and climb. I never would have believed what great climbers they are until I witnessed it for myself. They are so sweet and funny! Thanks for all your help and advice. I will continue to look and repeat your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.