boxie in road end of Nov.

Loohan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North-Central Arkansas
Very strange. I'm in rural north central Arkansas. I haven't seen a wild boxie in maybe a couple months even on warmer days. Not on my land or the road. Recently we had about 10 nights of hard freezing in a row. Today i was driving back from Mtn View on 66 and saw a youngish boxie, maybe 8-10 years old, parked on the 2-lane highway. It had been overcast and often foggy all day. Maybe the asphalt was faintly warmer from what slight indirect light got through. There was no place to pull off so i did not stop.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Very strange. I'm in rural north central Arkansas. I haven't seen a wild boxie in maybe a couple months even on warmer days. Not on my land or the road. Recently we had about 10 nights of hard freezing in a row. Today i was driving back from Mtn View on 66 and saw a youngish boxie, maybe 8-10 years old, parked on the 2-lane highway. It had been overcast and often foggy all day. Maybe the asphalt was faintly warmer from what slight indirect light got through. There was no place to pull off so i did not stop.
I'm sure it made its way back to where it was staying. Most of them take advantage of warm-ish days; even in the 50's, and then go back to where they were nestled.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
That is pretty late, even down South to see them in the wild after a freeze. Those in enclosures would be more likely seen I'd suggest but I've never seen one this late in the year. Water turtles were up on the logs at the local park a couple weeks ago but I'd be surprised to see a boxie this time of year too!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The way the temps have been so up and down all over the place, wouldn't doubt its confusing them.
Here in Illinois one day almost 60 then the next day 30. One week we had 70's then the next 20's and 30's.
Hopefully s/he figured it out in time to get back into the ground.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Yeah, it was 70 here yesterday evening and sub-freezing this morning. However until yesterday afternoon i don't think it had been above the 50s for weeks.
I saw that turtle late morning yesterday.