boy or girl? African spur thigh tortoise or sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

livingfree247

5 Year Member
What is the difference between a plain old sulcata or a spur thigh sulcata? Or is that the same thing? How old do they need to be before you can tell if it is a boy or a girl?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
African spurred tortoise (Geochelone sulcata)
spur-thigh is the Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca)

Lots of people have been mistakenly calling the sulcata 'spur thigh'...it's just spurred

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Sex isn't so much age, but size. Do you have one or looking into getting one and want to know how to tell the sex in general? How big is yours on the plastron (bottom shell) if you have one? Do you have any pictures?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes I can tell when they are a few weeks old, but its not for sure. Most of the time you can tell by the time the are 3-4 years old. HOWEVER, I have a 12 year old male that I was sure was a female for the first 8 or 9 years. If you see them flash their penis, its 100% for sure a male. If you see it lay eggs, its 100% for sure female.

livingfree247

5 Year Member
TortieLuver said:
Sex isn't so much age, but size. Do you have one or looking into getting one and want to know how to tell the sex in general? How big is yours on the plastron (bottom shell) if you have one? Do you have any pictures?

How do I get my pictures to show up on my signature?

Status
Not open for further replies.