Boy or Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
I know it's pretty much impossible to tell at this age, but does anyone want play the guessing game and guess if my baby Leopard is a boy or a girl? Thanks :D

Attachments

• image-2107044763.png
    image-2107044763.png
    836.2 KB · Views: 125
  • image-847044022.png
    image-847044022.png
    834.2 KB · Views: 106

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm gonna guess boy also. It will be awhile before we know if we guessed right or not :cool:

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Ok I didn't want to make ANOTHER thread so I am going to post my question on this thread. Today my 7 month old Leopard (from Eweezyfosheezy!) started digging a lot today. And he has never EVER dug during the 2 months I have had him. I thought Leopard's don't hibernate. They do not right? Could my Russian secretly be giving hibernation classes to my baby baby Leopard? LOL JK :p But seriously. Has he just decided that he want's to dig? I'm not REALLY worried, more curious. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
lets say male so the name Midas will still fit..haha

when you say digging, to what extent?
my leopard slightly digs himself into his dirt at night. its not alot though. the dirt level isn't any higher than his water level during soaks. does that give you a mental picture of how deep im referring to? its that the digging you mean?
or is he full on digging you can barely see the top of his shell??

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Team Gomberg said:
lets say male so the name Midas will still fit..haha

when you say digging, to what extent?
my leopard slightly digs himself into his dirt at night. its not alot though. the dirt level isn't any higher than his water level during soaks. does that give you a mental picture of how deep im referring to? its that the digging you mean?
or is he full on digging you can barely see the top of his shell??

Well the substrate in his terrarium only goes an inch since there is no point in having it deep if he won't dig. But in his hide he dug all the way to the bottom. But outside his hide he did the digging to where you explained the water in the tub thing.

Laura said:
maybe he is cold... or too hot... trying to get away from whatever...

Well last night he didn't sleep in his hide (which was weird becuase he always sleeps in his hide) but the temp in his hide got to 90° so I know it was way to hot for him. Because usually my room is cold so I keep his terrarium as warm as possible which maintains the perfect temperature for him. But last night my room was warm which means that his terrarium was extra warm so that was the problem. So I turned off the heat lamp and just kept on the heating pad. That seemed to solve things :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Anyone know of any good Leopard tortoise books? Like one that talks about Leopard tortoise husbandry and/or breeding?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Anyone know of any good Leopard tortoise books? Like one that talks about Leopard tortoise husbandry and/or breeding?

Do you have the Fife brothers leopard tortoise book?

Ed Pirog's book is good: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0793828988/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This book is my favorite leopard tortoise book. It's not as easy a read as the Fife's and Ed's book, but most of the taxonomy and natural history knowledge I have about leopards is from this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/389973601X/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

In addition to these, there are a ton of studies specifically about leopard tortoises. I'll get you a list shortly.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Where is the heating pad? I recommend especially for the young ones and being indoors to not heat from the bottom, as their organs are all underneath and can heat up quite fast. Many people use the kane pads or other under heat sources for their adults when outdoors in the winter....just thought perhaps that was making him hot. If you have a system that works effectively, than that's great. :)

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Neal said:
Do you have the Fife brothers leopard tortoise book?

Ed Pirog's book is good: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0793828988/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This book is my favorite leopard tortoise book. It's not as easy a read as the Fife's and Ed's book, but most of the taxonomy and natural history knowledge I have about leopards is from this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/389973601X/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

In addition to these, there are a ton of studies specifically about leopard tortoises. I'll get you a list shortly.

Do any of these talk about breeding? And I need a link for the Fife brothers book :)

TortieLuver said:
Where is the heating pad? I recommend especially for the young ones and being indoors to not heat from the bottom, as their organs are all underneath and can heat up quite fast. Many people use the kane pads or other under heat sources for their adults when outdoors in the winter....just thought perhaps that was making him hot. If you have a system that works effectively, than that's great. :)

The heating pad is below enough dirt under the tank and he does not get hot anymore, just warm :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
How big do you think my Leopard tortoise will get? He's Babcocki by the way ;)

How big were the producing adults? That'll give you the best idea.

There may be some sexual dimorphism that would effect the adult size of the tortoise.

TortoiseBoy1999 said:
And do all them talk about breeding?

Yes

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Is my leopard tortoise starting to pyramid? It just seems like his scutes are slightly elevated...... I would like some opinions please. He get's 1-2 soaks a day and his enclosure is kept warm and humid. I thought of this because someone else posted their's and I wanted some opinion's on mine.

TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Is my leopard tortoise starting to pyramid? It just seems like his scutes are slightly elevated...... I would like some opinions please. He get's 1-2 soaks a day and his enclosure is kept warm and humid. I thought of this because someone else posted their's and I wanted some opinion's on mine.

Attachments

• image-1385681187.png
    image-1385681187.png
    937.8 KB · Views: 29
  • image-3909667576.png
    image-3909667576.png
    235.2 KB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.