boys or girls?

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
i posted a thread back in 2012 asking what gender they were even though i knew they were still too small to tell. now that they are a bit older and bigger i am curious if you can tell what gender they are yet. i labeled the pictures to make it easier to tell them apart. sorry the pic quality isnt the best. i was using my smart phone and it was starting to get dark out. let me know if you need more or different pics of either of them. #1 is named Kokopelli and #2 is named Kachina. they both live outside full time now and i think they are doing good considering they had a really tough start to life before i got them
thanks in advance for the help :)

Attachments

• e.jpg
    e.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 41
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 35
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 34
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 35
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 36
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 34
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 32
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 33

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First off, your tortoises look great. You've done well with them.

#1 looks like its going to go female.
#2 looks like its going to be a male.

Its still too early to tell for sure, but thats my early guess based on what I see.

I hope these two aren't living in the same enclosure.

BekahBear

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks. they have come a long way since i got them. ill post them again when they get bigger to see if the opinion on their gender changes or stays the same.

right now i do have them in she same enclosure but it is only temporary. i have 2 of everything and placed them on opposite sides of the current enclosure to try to avoid bullying and competition between them as much as possible. that way if both want to do something at the same time they do have the option to do it separately. i realize that they would be better off separate but at this time it doesn't make sense to try to build them separate outdoor enclosures even if i had the extra space (we are limited on space at our current property). we recently bought a new property and just broke ground on our new house there. it should be completed in 6-8 months then we will be moving out there with all of our critters. at the new property i plan on setting up 2 separate areas for them. it is a 10 acre property. about 5 acres of it is horse facilities and the other 5 is where the house, yard, and everything else will go. we are in the process of planning out the landscaping on the 5 acres surrounding the house and are incorporating the 2 "tortoise yards" into those plans. i am very excited to move to the new property and get everything set up.