Brand-new first-time mom of Afghan (Russian) Tortoise here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiddlerchick

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Farishta-detail.jpgHi everyone,

I apologise in advance for the long-winded, rambling post, but all my questions seem to overlap each other, so here goes…….

We (two musicians and two musical cats) were recently adopted by what my research indicates to be a lovely female Afghan/Russian tortoise who we named Farishta (Afghani name meaning “Angel”). She just wandered into the garden in front of our apartment about three weeks ago and appears to be a very robust, friendly, active little lass and we really hope to keep her that way.

Obviously I know absolutely nothing about this darling, i.e., how long she has been a resident of Los Angeles (“the ‘hood”, to put a fine point on it) and its climate; whether she has any living memory of her native habitat of Baluchistan (if you are not familiar with that word please click the link below or copy and paste it into your web browser – fear not, it isn’t booby-trapped: http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk...why_baluchistan_matters.html.printer.friendly) or points further northeast;

The main issue is that she has shown no interested in eating whatsoever since we took her in. Other side issues involve behaviour that I can’t imagine being “normal” based on my research, but perhaps that is due to extreme dislocation shock, i.e., jet lag if she just arrived from Uzbekistan or Kazakhstan a few weeks ago after being wild-caught; totally new environment; adjustment to abnormal lifestyle (being musicians, we’re on feline time here, so she very well might not be used to a lot of activity at night or strong, long-wave vibrations from us playing instruments in a room with “live” acoustics due to hardwood floors and plaster walls – she seems to enjoy the music though), etc., etc., etc.....

I realise it would be simpler put up separate posts about her enclosure/basic environment and routine, food, odd quirks, etc., so will do so shortly.

In the meantime, thanks very much for listening and any advice is much appreciated!!!

Season's greetings,

Brenda K
theXiles fiddle player and “house mom”
www.myspace.com/theXilesmusic

Last edited by a moderator:

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Brenda, We do need to know about her enclosure, lights, etc so that we can figure out if there is a problem there that could be causing her not to eat.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Also what are you trying to feed her?

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome!
As stated above her enclosure, lighting, heating, hydration, humidity, parasite load, whether or not correct food and water is offered, as well as her current size and weight are all important factors in her overall health.

Don't apologize for asking questions:DBy the way the link you posted did not work when I clicked on it.

A few questions...
Does she have a runny nose?
Watery eyes?
Long beak?
Loose stools?
Is she drinking?
Is she protected from the cats?
Are you housing her in or outdoors?
Have you had her evaluated by a local herp/tortoise veterenatian who has checked her stools etc?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
OK, Fiddlerchick Don't get overwhelmed by the above questions
these are all important to give us a base of were to start from. jlyoncc1, Anja and Cam are quite knowledgeable about Russians and will give you good advice on her care once we know a little more about her. Are you sure it is a she?

The weather in LA has been a little chilly especially at night for the past few weeks (upper 30 and 40s) This alone could slow down her eating. I have looked at her pic and she looks well cared for. Her beak looks good, her nails are not too long and her eyes look bright and clear from that pic. Once you have her enclosure and diet correct I am sure she will be fine. But definiely watch your cats around her. they have been know to be distructive, even deadly to torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If I were a betting person, I would go with being outside in cold temps h[/align]as given her the thought she should be considering hibernation. A long with the other questions, you might try giving her warm water soaks. That often helps get torts back into eating.

I think your family and she will soon get into rhythm with each other. Just will take a little time to get onto the same musical page. Sounds like your researching her range and creating a blending to produce a lasting harmony.

BTW good to have you here and a great save for her.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Crazy1 said:
OK, Fiddlerchick Don't get overwhelmed by the above questions
these are all important to give us a base of were to start from. jlyoncc1, Anja and Cam are quite knowledgeable about Russians and will give you good advice on her care once we know a little more about her. Are you sure it is a she?

Sorry about the 20 questions:shy:
I am sure you are right...those little guys know when it's time to slow down. Our Rankin Beardie has been in full brumation since around Halloween...and he's kept indoors! He even 'naps' on rainy days in the summer;) They just know.

Also if you go in to the search mode here...there are several very helpful threads on tort care.

Clarification though, I do not know about Russians...only the very basics...just was asking some of the questions that seem to help tease out different causes of lack of appetite...
Remember, I am the one that thought we had brought home a young Russian until I posted a picture here and found out he was a 7 year old Greek:rolleyes:And we love him!

Sorry again!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cvalda said:
ROFL Jacqui! You make me giggle!

*bends low while doffing her court jester's cap*

"My pleasure Madame of the Torts. I do enjoy the uplifting tones and the unepected rifts on the scale. Knowing I brought such a joyful melody to you, puts my day on the right note."

....ummmm *blushes* could somebody help me up here???? Seems at my age, bending so far over is not a good thing.....

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Yes, but the deep bend has inspired us all over 30:D

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
It has even inspired those of us over 40! LOL

Status