Brand New, Looking for Info

archerkid

Location (City and/or State)
Corvallis, OR
Hi all,
I am new to the TF but I'm hoping to get a little help! I'm looking at possibly getting a tortoise in the (relatively) near future and am curious which breeds to look at. I'm a student in Oregon, living in an apartment. I don't have much of a backyard, so roaming land is a little limited, although I definitely plan to get the little creature some exercise. I don't mind building a tortoise table but it gets a bit humid here. Hoping to get some insight into what I should look at. (or if a tortoise is a viable pet at all)
I've dealt with chameleons and geckos before, but don't have experience with tortoises.
Thanks!
-Alex

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Tortoises really need to be able to get outside ideally. They can be kept inside in very large enclosures though. Check out the care guides in each specific section you are considering.

archerkid

Corvallis, OR
Thanks for the replies, I'd looked a little into red footed tortoises. Are they suitable as a beginner tortoise? They need high heat and humidity which can sometimes make and animal much harder to care for.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thanks for the replies, I'd looked a little into red footed tortoises. Are they suitable as a beginner tortoise? They need high heat and humidity which can sometimes make and animal much harder to care for.
They are a little more involved that say a Russian but are fairly easy to care for IF you set them up correctly. Russians make great first torts because they are very hardy and more forgiving to mistakes but you would need a large indoor table, like 4' x 8'.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yep, get the set up right to begin with and it's much easier after that, just a bit of tweaking here and there, as one's never entirely happy with the set up.
It's like wifey and the living room, always something that needs altering.
And a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.