BRAND NEW REDFOOT OWNER

Rodger

Hi everyone. I am a brand new redfoot owner and I just wanted to get advice from a lot of folks who have been doing this a while. I am not sure how old my little buddy is but he fits in the palm of my hand and I wanted to make sure I am feeding him enough. I have been feeding him once a day and he will eat and then come back to it later. Been feeding him cherry tomatoes, celery, broccoli, cucumbers, blueberries (first time tonight), carrots and kale (all in small amounts). He always hits the tomatoes first and then goes to other things. Is this what I need to be feeding him or is there something else? He does not seem to like the kale leaves very much.

Any advice will be welcome as I only know what I am reading on different sites.

Thanks

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Unfortunately, your diet will need some tweaking. Cucumbers and celery hardly have any nutritional value to them and mostly used for its water content. Fruits are okay to use but should be a smaller fraction compared to their main staple of dark leafy greens, weeds, leaves, and flowers.

Check out: http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/ for more information on tortoise husbandry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello,and Welcome:) I agree a better diet is need. The website listed by pfara is great for RF and is a member of this forums site.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
Branch out a lot! try foods rich in Vitamin A, try different protein sources.. keep a list of like and rejects.. you'll be filling in more of the gaps of nutrition missed by your current diet.. you should probably try to get high calcium greens mixed in with what you're feeding .. I think deep green color and deep orange color (vegitables.. pumpkin, sweet potato, squash) are a good place to start... mix in fruits and always new things.. don't let them fixate on one food..

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Like said above, that is not a good diet at all. Redfoots are awesome, I've got two. Post some pics of your Redfoot and his set up and we'll be able to help you better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What's your location? do you have access to any Hibiscus trees/bushes? The flowers and the leaves are a staple were available...Year 'round free food!