Brand new Russian tortoise mommy HELP

molly.b

I've never had a tortoise or any pet for the matter I got my baby yesterday from pets mart, they gave me hardly any info or advice for him. They recommended the 30 " tank so that's what I got, they told me to buy a big water bowl and food bowl and made me buy these little leafy pellets for him...not sure how to start a daily routine with him, what are some DO's and DON'TS? How often soak? And how often handle? He has a day basking lamp and a night lamp that is purple and not bright at all....not sure how much spring mix lettuce I can give him or how many hours a day it's okay to be away from him!!!!! Also his cage is adorable but with his huge hideout water and food bowl it seems there's not a whole lot more space

Thank you in advance

gamera154

Location (City and/or State)
grand terrace ca
You need a 4x8 enclosure and those water bowls are death traps he could flip and drown. oh and soak him now they are all Most allways dehydrated at pets mart

molly.b

You need a 4x8 enclosure and those water bowls are death traps he could flip and drown. oh and soak him now they are all Most allways dehydrated at pets mart
Where online can I find a big enclosure?!?! They told me that bowl is for soaking and drinking

gamera154

grand terrace ca
You can make one yourself its not hard and most everyone here use terracota plant saucers they are deep enough to get in but shallow enough to get out and some him in a tub or bin with luke warm water that just reaches the top and bottom shell connect

gamera154

grand terrace ca
You can make your enclosure out of ply wood. Water sealed so I doesn't rot or you can get 4 2x4 bins and connect then together also what substrate are you using

gamera154

grand terrace ca
Oh and torts don't understand glass if they can see through it there going to try to get through it

molly.b

What would a home built look like I'm trying to picture it but idk, I live in an apartment and have a 1 year old daughter

molly.b

Could you show me a pic of what an ideal easy to make cage would look like?

molly.b

It upsets me that I bought him, without being prepared 1st..petstores are jokes. They told me I'd never need a bigger tank I don't want him to be cooped up but I also need something that's not gonna be too hard to do

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
It upsets me that I bought him, without being prepared 1st..petstores are jokes. They told me I'd never need a bigger tank I don't want him to be cooped up but I also need something that's not gonna be too hard to do
What is the max on how big it can be?

gamera154

grand terrace ca
Don't feel bad you just got stuck in the stores trap but you did a good thing by coming here for help and now your tort will be happy living with you for years to come and we'll be with you the whole way ok