Brand new Russian tortoise mommy HELP

molly.b

I just don't know how to make it possible with making one, if I get a way bigger glass tank would it be better

molly.b

What type of plant can I put in the enclosure can I give him spring mix lettuce ,red cabbage? Cilantro?

gamera154

Location (City and/or State)
grand terrace ca
Lambs lettuce is the best one to feed the others have little to no nutrition and are good for water only

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
An adult Russian really can't live in a tank that size - even a 250 gallon long would be small for a tortoise the size of yours as a permanent home.

Thankfully, it's not expensive to build a 'tortoise table' - build one from plywood or use an old bookcase tipped on its back. Line it with pond liner or even a thick shower curtain. Get stands for your lamps. Don't waste money buying another tank or premade enclosure.

The pet store gave you bad advice on what to buy - I might try returning some of what you bought. Many people get bad advice, so you aren't alone. Your Russian tortoise is lovely. Once you get housing sorted, it'll become much easier to enjoy tortoise ownership.

This link will get you started: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/

molly.b

What foods can I pick up at a grocery store for him? He won't eat the tortoise pellets

molly.b

And what kind of mulch can I *** to half of his cage? I want to plant a plant with him

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Dandelion, collards, chicory, endive, turnip greens, and cactus pads are good options I find on my stores.

Fir or cypress bark are good substrate choices.

molly.b

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455670529.468048.jpgI bought this so that I could do a half mulch in half of this for his cage so it makes it look really nice , also got plant saucer for his water bowl I also got a little plant so I can put it in the corner behind his water bowl called dracaena deremensis

molly.b

Haha I know I'm so bad about that!! Is this all okay for my little dude