Brand new set up, am I missing anything?

Slbrlb

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest United States
I am getting an Eastern Hermanns hatchling (3 months old) on Thursday so I’m getting everything set up. I know I will have to increase the enclosure size before too long but for now is there anything I need to do differently?

I will have a CHE and Flood Bulb in the fixture, and the uvb will be mounted with screws under the plexiglass.

thank you

Attachments

• 9F608C39-9800-41EB-9E29-A8848ADBDF92.jpeg
    9F608C39-9800-41EB-9E29-A8848ADBDF92.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • C7081C13-2E05-46A2-A377-CD4C6946DD65.jpeg
    C7081C13-2E05-46A2-A377-CD4C6946DD65.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am getting an Eastern Hermanns hatchling (3 months old) on Thursday so I’m getting everything set up. I know I will have to increase the enclosure size before too long but for now is there anything I need to do differently?

I will have a CHE and Flood Bulb in the fixture, and the uvb will be mounted with screws under the plexiglass.

thank you
Can the che and flood operate separately? I've always used single wide domes.
Maybe add a site barrier around the base to stop him trying to get through the glass.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Check the package for the double-dome fixture...to my knowledge, they are not rated for CHE bulbs.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The CHE also needs to be run through a thermostat to stop it cooking your tort.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
Can the che and flood operate separately? I've always used single wide domes.
Maybe add a site barrier around the base to stop him trying to get through the glass.
Yes the domes have two separate switches. Would I need to have the Che on at the same time as basking bulb or only at night when the basking bulb is off?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The double dome says it can be used for nighttime heat emitters. The CHE box says can’t be used in the dome so I wonder if there are any other heat emitters that I can use in the dome
Choose an incandescent bulb that is black (the red "night" ones have caused problems with making substrate and other non-food items look like fruit).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't like the dual fixtures because I want one at each end of the enclosure, not both at the same end. I put a day bulb in one at one end, and the night bulb in the other at the other end (where the hiding place is.

Slbrlb

Midwest United States
I don't like the dual fixtures because I want one at each end of the enclosure, not both at the same end. I put a day bulb in one at one end, and the night bulb in the other at the other end (where the hiding place is.
I can certainly return the dual fixture if needed. If you have a bulb at both ends then do you not have a cool side? I am trying to keep as much of the top covered as possible and just trying to figure out the best way to make it all work. It’s a little overwhelming ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I can certainly return the dual fixture if needed. If you have a bulb at both ends then do you not have a cool side? I am trying to keep as much of the top covered as possible and just trying to figure out the best way to make it all work. It’s a little overwhelming ?
If one end has the night heat and the other the day heat then the cool end would switch depending on which bulb is being used.
It can be overwhelming but If you follow the recommendations in the caresheet you should be fine.
The CHE needs a thermostat that can be set at the right temp and will switch it on and off to keep temps even - you shouldn't need to do anything other than just check temps occasionally. I don't know the type you have but If you don't hear the alert, it could overheat and kill your tort. I think there are safer ones to use.
Does the double fixture allow you to use a thermostat with just the CHE?
A lot of members prefer the single fixtures.