Brand of good top soil?

DamJoe08

Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, Ca
what would be a good brand of top soil I can use in my Sulcata tortoise enclosure? He’s 2 months old and I currently have cypress mulch in there. I would like it add for extra humidity as well as some grass seeds.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
While I don’t know any good brands, top soil isn’t really the best because it gets very muddy when wet. Good alternatives are coco coir, peat moss, orchid bark, and a few others that I can’t think of right now. Peat moss is like 10 dollars for 3 cubic feet, so you would definitely have some extra :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think a soiless mix works better in enclosures. Top soil is heavy and can become compacted. I prefer a base of coir or peat with compost mixed in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Store bought soil should not be used because you can't know what composted material it is made of. It could be something harmless or it could be oleander trimmings and grass clippings that have any number of toxic lawn chemical on them. Soil is also messy and turns to mud when wet.

Soil will not create more humidity than your cypress mulch either. How much humidity you have is a function of how much moisture is evaporating from the bottom of the enclosure and how well you are containing that evaporated moisture. With an open top, no substrate will give you the humidity you desire. Use a closed chamber, and any substrate will help you achieve the level of humidity that you desire.

Fine grade orchis bark is the best substrate for sulcatas.