Brazilian Dam Will destroy local tribes and Rainforest

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Conservation to me is not just about taking an animal into a secure captive facility and breeding them. Its only one piece of the true conservation effort. Humans all over the world are toying with nature. I found this news in Brazil to be appalling and this dam construction will certainly force not only native tribes, but cause a man made ecosystem change for thousands of animals. Sad to see this happening in my opinion.

http://amazonwatch.org/take-action/stop-the-belo-monte-monster-dam

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Oh I agree...it's terrible what they're doing over there. Everywhere, man is destroying the earth and the environment. I can't justify why they would do this. The ultimate price is yet to be paid!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Seems to me its already under construction. GOOGLE it and read what Wiki says pro and con.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Man has always thought he new what he was doing was best. But then he destroys plants , insects , and animals . That are medical s that can fix man but to late it's gone for ever . Just like we can clone cows , sheep, and plants but not George the giant tortoise !

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yvonne G said:
Seems to me its already under construction. GOOGLE it and read what Wiki says pro and con.

Yeah unfortunately it is. also another very similar event with a dam took place on the Yangtze river in China. Flooded all the upper lands, and ruined archaeological sites of ancient civilizations. Shelly may know about that one being a paleontologist. Also makes a different and unnatural Eco system for native animals. All for power(literally)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
I agree but there are loads of these kind of things wrecking rain forests:
River problems-dams, hydroelectric plants, sewage plants, use as drinking water
Transport-Building new roads and paths to link cities
Building of new homes-Wiping out land to build new homes to boost the poor local economy in many of these countries around the Equator.
Farming-Cutting down trees for cattle and crops, both commercially and by tribes. Also taking natural fruit from the rainforest.
Paper-Big companies using trees for shipping boxes, unfairly forcing the tribes off their land.
Sadly, the governments are not doing enough to stop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.