Breathing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
My Red Foot may be sick :( One day i was watching him and the next thing I know he is making this strange noise sometimes. What he does is opens his mouth and it looks like he is breathing in, and he only does it 3 times and then he just walks back into his hide? Could this be a serious problem? I'm getting myself worked up, and this has been happening for a while...HELP!!!

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Is he still eating and hydrating?

Yes, he is eating his lettuce and everything. He loves his fruit and I give I
It to him every week 2 times. He sometimes does drink?

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
ascott said:
What is your best description for the sound you mentioned?

It's unexplainable actually :/ It doesn't sound like a squeak or a extremely loud, it sounds like a raspy?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What are your enclosure temps? What is your coolest spot, middle zone and basking/hot zone? What is your humidity? Are his eyes open and clear?

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
ascott said:
What are your enclosure temps? What is your coolest spot, middle zone and basking/hot zone? What is your humidity? Are his eyes open and clear?

Well I don't have a middle zone but, my basking spot is always 70 and I know that's very low because I need a higher bulb, and the Cool side I don't have a their monitor so I have to go buy one. My humidity is always in the tropical range when I can mist it, I can always do this during the weekend but on weekdays I can't check because I'm at work to 6:00am to 3:00pm. But once I'm home I do check it usually

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, first off please bring the temps in your enclosure up to no lower than 85 with the humidity you have now and get a night heat lamp to keep the temps from getting cold in the evening....what is LIKELY happening is that your tortoise is way too cold and also the humidity is making it even colder and more dangerous for the health of your tortoise. These conditions can create a respiratory infection if not corrected like right away, now actually.

So, how far away is your heat source from your tortoise? How do you have the enclosure set up to retain the heat and humidity? What size heat lamp do you have at present?

Lets see if we all can get you to a better set up to help your tortoise :D

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Are you feeding your tortoise on soil? If they get dirt in their food it can lead to respritory problems.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Open mouth breathing can be many things, It could simply have something stuck in it's throat that it is trying to dislodge. It could also be the beginnings on an RI. ( Respiratory Infection)

Is it eating still? any discharge from the nose? it is lethargic?

JonahQKline

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Open mouth breathing can be many things, It could simply have something stuck in it's throat that it is trying to dislodge. It could also be the beginnings on an RI. ( Respiratory Infection)

Is it eating still? any discharge from the nose? it is lethargic?

Yes he does seem a little sluggish, but eats and walks fine? Just scared...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Keep him warm, and an eye on him, if his eating habits change for the worse a vet visit may be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.