Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

puredevonian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
P5170113.JPG[/font]I have just got to ask as it's bugging me.
What are our little friends actually doing when they are standing and their little heads go up and down slightly and their little legs also move.
Shoot me now...
It is almost a heart movement like we have .
Come on some one please put me out of my misery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
puredevonian said:
[/font]I have just got to ask as it's bugging me.
What are our little friends actually doing when they are standing and their little heads go up and down slightly and their little legs also move.
Shoot me now...
It is almost a heart movement like we have .
Come on some one please put me out of my misery.

Good question Tracy,

I know it is normal but I was wondering the same quesiton as you, why :).

Isa

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I believe what you describing is normal breating. Torts and turtles having hard covering top and bottom can expand thier chest cavity like other animals, so the neck and leg pumping.

puredevonian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
This is getting interesting and at least I don't feel so stupid now Great!!!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I know that if mine looks like he is swallowing and bobbing his head up and down, he is stressed about something. If he is sitting under a little plant, and I put my hand in there with a rag or something to clean the side of his enclosure, he does that, and I know he is getting stressed looking at that "big paper towel".

rattboy

10 Year Member!
San Francisco, CA
The simplest explanation is that tortoises have to exert physical movements to force air in and out of their lungs as they are not built like we are, with a diaphram that we can control without any other motion. They typically do two distinct things... puff their thoats, like frogs...which moves air in and out... and pump their head/legs.

Its normal. After time you will come find comfort in this because it becomes a signature trait, least the leg/head pumping part is.

Paul

puredevonian

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
rattboy said:
The simplest explanation is that tortoises have to exert physical movements to force air in and out of their lungs as they are not built like we are, with a diaphram that we can control without any other motion. They typically do two distinct things... puff their thoats, like frogs...which moves air in and out... and pump their head/legs.

Its normal. After time you will come find comfort in this because it becomes a signature trait, least the leg/head pumping part is.

Paul
Thanks ever so much Paul, at least I know it's now nothing to worry about. ((*_*))

Status
Not open for further replies.