Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've been trying to compile a personal list of our forum members who breed tortoises and sell the babies. I only started it last week, and I've been trying to go back and find the members, but its tedious work.

Would it be good to have a section on the forum where our members can list themselves as breeders?

Someone always raises the question where can I get a captive bred tortoise? Where better than from a forum member?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I think the idea is a good one and I'm for it. But the immediate question that comes to mind is: What's to stop an unscrupulous person from buying quantities of babies for less elsewhere to re-sell and then advertising themselves as a breeder on this site? It's done all the time on Kingsnake and FaunaClassifieds. They may not necessarily be able to (or care to) provide new owners with information and to answer their questions as most breeders will.
I think if creating a breeders list or section some sort of feedback or rating system should be in place also in order for potential buyers to know who they may be dealing with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And someone just joins to put their name in that section. Yeah, some sort of feedback would be good. And maybe you have to have so many posts before you can list yourself in that section.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Laura said:
maybe they need to be Invited into that section after they are known...

I like this idea too! :) Gives you a little more security knowing that they have a good reputation and just not anyone can make the list!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Wouldn't the tortoises "vendor" review section be a good place to post reviews? I don't think we should set up a breeder rating system when it seems like we've kinda already got one.

GBtortoises said:
I think the idea is a good one and I'm for it. But the immediate question that comes to mind is: What's to stop an unscrupulous person from buying quantities of babies for less elsewhere to re-sell and then advertising themselves as a breeder on this site? It's done all the time on Kingsnake and FaunaClassifieds. They may not necessarily be able to (or care to) provide new owners with information and to answer their questions as most breeders will.
I think if creating a breeders list or section some sort of feedback or rating system should be in place also in order for potential buyers to know who they may be dealing with.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Torty Mom said:
Laura said:
maybe they need to be Invited into that section after they are known...

I like this idea too! :) Gives you a little more security knowing that they have a good reputation and just not anyone can make the list!

I like the invite suggestion, too. It would mean more to me if I was invited to be on the list than if I tried selling myself onto the list.

I also would like to see a different word used instead of breeder. Not sure what it would be, but I never considered myself a breeder. I take the best care of my tortoises that I can and they do all the rest. They do all the breeding.:p

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"And someone just joins to put their name in that section. Yeah, some sort of feedback would be good. And maybe you have to have so many posts before you can list yourself in that section."

"maybe they need to be Invited into that section after they are known..."

Or have a certain number of TFO members who are in good standing as references?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And maybe you have to have so many posts before you can list yourself in that section."

Maybe have a predetermined number of references from TFO members that are in good standings?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
GBtortoises said:
"And someone just joins to put their name in that section. Yeah, some sort of feedback would be good. And maybe you have to have so many posts before you can list yourself in that section."

Or have a certain number of TFO members who are in good standing as references?

These are great ideas! I get kind of excited now when I see the critters I want in our for sale section. But then I see that the poster just joined and only has a couple of posts I lose interest completely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Edna. It would be so great to have something like this for real forum members that actually participate in the forum. Kinda difficult to set parameters fairly. It would be nice if someone looking for a tort could just go to that section and see a list of reputable forum members for each species. It would ensure that at least some of the people out there in the tort world would be starting off on the right foot with a healthy, well started tort.

Maybe people ought to be nominated and voted upon... or something. Seems like a requirement of 100 posts or more would be reasonable and easy to meet.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
I do think it would be a good idea to have some sort of specific forum, system or something for the breeders here.

About the current rating system we have though. I don't really think much of it. A lot of the ratings up out there are things like "great tortoise keeper" or "good torty mom". Things that don't really mean anything to someone who is new and doesn't know the person. Who wants to know WHY they are good at what they do, not just that they are a good keeper.

So the new system would have to be more specific and something that was monitored so people don't get rated up for nothing like the current system.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Interesting. My opinion is you have a classified section with tortoises for sale to the public and forum members. Any breeder can advertise there is desired. Alot of folks breed tortoises that are also keepers. I think if you want to add an area for further discussions and topics relating to specifically the breeding of tortoise issues and methods would be great, but not for promotional breeder purposes. Just my two cents and I would for sure participate in those threads posted under a new breeders section.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, my first idea wasn't for there to be a subject line for breeders with discussion, it was for it to be like our vet list is...just a list of those members on the forum who breed tortoises for sale.

So when a newbie comes on and says, "I'm looking to buy a baby Russian tortoise and I was hoping to find captive bred." We can refer them to that breeders section. They would then go there and click on the breeders username then send them and email or PM.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
i think a reputable breeder section is a great idea, I usually serf Kingsnake or visit reptile shows and I would much rather buy from a person who is known on TFO . but what about a guy like me that doesnt focus on breeding and I happen to have a pair breed on their own .....If I want to sell the babies would I post it on the breeder section (i am NOT a breeder) or still just post it in classifieds, It would be nice if I could post in the breeder section but disclose the situation to potential buyers.....

NEtorts said:
i think a reputable breeder section is a great idea, I usually serf Kingsnake or visit reptile shows and I would much rather buy from a person who is known on TFO . but what about a guy like me that doesnt focus on breeding and I happen to have a pair breed on their own .....If I want to sell the babies would I post it on the breeder section (i am NOT a breeder) or still just post it in classifieds, It would be nice if I could post in the breeder section but disclose the situation to potential buyers.....

Also, if you all look at the posts on TFO as qualifying you as a reputable person it is not always going to be acurate, I am on the site quite a bit but mostly just reading, not always replying, I like to soak in all of TFO's members knowledge and dont always ahve comments to make, it doesnt mean I am not a reputable Tort keeper ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
NE, you are just the sort of person I'd like to see in the "Breeder's Section". I'm sort of in the same situation as you. I just have some pets that I enjoy and they make some babies for me sometimes. I think there are lots of us like that.

Everyone knows who the big time pros are. I'd like to make it easier for the little guys (hobbyists) to move their CB babies.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
And...it is important to me that if I sell my babies I want them to go to serious hobbyist/keeper, not just someone who thinks torts are "cool" alot of "breeders" dont care who the torts go to as long as they make a buck. (not all, but some) in general i think the TFO patrons care, excellent thread.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
NEtorts said:
And...it is important to me that if I sell my babies I want them to go to serious hobbyist/keeper, not just someone who thinks torts are "cool" alot of "breeders" dont care who the torts go to as long as they make a buck. (not all, but some) in general i think the TFO patrons care, excellent thread.....

Yeah I generally want mine to go to forum members too. People who have a pretty good idea of how to do it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.