breeding and what incubator to use?

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I am interested in breeding sulcata tortoises in the future and I want to learn everything to breeding, incubating, when to dig the eggs up, when to put them in the incubator, and what incubator to use. ect. I have heard you should not keep one male with one female so I will have two females and one male. so any help will be appreciated! @Tom I know you breed tortoise so maybe you would have some advise for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am interested in breeding sulcata tortoises in the future and I want to learn everything to breeding, incubating, when to dig the eggs up, when to put them in the incubator, and what incubator to use. ect. I have heard you should not keep one male with one female so I will have two females and one male. so any help will be appreciated! @Tom I know you breed tortoise so maybe you would have some advise for me.
Breed a different species is my advice. We don't need more sulcatas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species would you recommend?
Russians could really use a helping hand. We are still collecting a good amount of them from the wild and importing them. CB babies would be MUCH better for everyone involved.

Hermanni are great tortoises, and few people are breeding them. They only lay a few eggs a year, so it would be great to have more.

Pancakes, any of the greeks, SA leopards, Manouria (which would be great in your climate most of the time), any of the Indotestudo, any of the kinixsys,... Really anything would be better than breeding sulcatas.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Russians could really use a helping hand. We are still collecting a good amount of them from the wild and importing them. CB babies would be MUCH better for everyone involved.

Hermanni are great tortoises, and few people are breeding them. They only lay a few eggs a year, so it would be great to have more.

Pancakes, any of the greeks, SA leopards, Manouria (which would be great in your climate most of the time), any of the Indotestudo, any of the kinixsys,... Really anything would be better than breeding sulcatas.
I would like to breed elongated tortoises. Can you give me any advise? Like what incubator to use and when to dig the eggs up? I am completely new to breeding and would like to learn a lot on this forum because as many people know Google and YouTube don't give quite the best information.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Oh! And where would I get nice healthy elongated tortoises? I'll raise them from babies so what age do I breed them? And I would like some around 175$ - 0$ if possible. But I am willing to pay more for healthy ones!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would like to breed elongated tortoises. Can you give me any advise? Like what incubator to use and when to dig the eggs up? I am completely new to breeding and would like to learn a lot on this forum because as many people know Google and YouTube don't give quite the best information.
I've never bred them, or even keep them, so I'm not a good source of info on them. We used to have some people on the forum talking about them and breeding them, so a search might yield some names for you to reach out to for info. They don't do well in my climate here, so I don't even know of anyone keeping them here. I do like them and have read a fair amount about them, but I choose species to work with that will do well in my climate living outdoors as adults. If I ever live in the humid south eastern US, I will get some Indotestudo and start working with them. Both forstens and elongata.

Just some general advice: Breeders know the market value of their animals and charge accordingly. The initial purchase price of the animal is a pittance compared to what you will spend on housing, food, heat, etc... Worry about the health of the new baby and how well the baby was started, not the price. If you want people to delete your emails and not answer you, then telling them what price you want to pay is a good strategy. When I contact a breeder, price is the last thing I ask about. I want to learn about the species they breed, and what steps they take to make sure the animal is healthy and started optimally, and how I should set them up optimally when they arrive. I want to buy the healthiest animal I can get. I don't care about the price, as long as it is not something ridiculous for no good reason.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
If you are wanting to breed tortoises, I suggest you first immerse yourself in researching species of tortoises, and really delving into how best to keep them. Your focus shouldn't initially be 'I want to breed' - it should be a passion about raising that specific species, and doing the best you possibly can. You will need space, a fabulous outdoor habitat. You will need a closed chamber set up to raise your babies up to big enough to be outside, and then for several years until breeding size. Depending on the species you choose.... This can take 5-15 years before they are ready to breed.

What is your motivation to breed? Do you want to experience the baby phase? Do you want to help conserve a species? Do you want to create your own tortoise army? Do you want to earn millions of dollars selling them? If the last one is the goal, sorry, not gonna happen... By the time you have built enclosures and bought lighting and supplies and bought or built an incubator, and invested hundreds or thousands of hours, the 'per hr' wages are ridiculously low. You might break even.
Breeding is fun and very rewarding (not monetarily), but it's also not for the faint hearted. Sometimes babies die. It's a lot of work to raise babies for a few months before selling them (this is the way I believe it should be done). Sometimes the female gets injured durig mating. Dealing with buyers is a lot of work and sometimes stressful (but also really fun and rewarding).

I have to admin I cringe a little when someone says 'I want tortoises so I can breed' - in my opinion it's best to want tortoises so you can provide them with the best possible life, and if that goes well, they might gift you with babies some day.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
If you are wanting to breed tortoises, I suggest you first immerse yourself in researching species of tortoises, and really delving into how best to keep them. Your focus shouldn't initially be 'I want to breed' - it should be a passion about raising that specific species, and doing the best you possibly can. You will need space, a fabulous outdoor habitat. You will need a closed chamber set up to raise your babies up to big enough to be outside, and then for several years until breeding size. Depending on the species you choose.... This can take 5-15 years before they are ready to breed.

What is your motivation to breed? Do you want to experience the baby phase? Do you want to help conserve a species? Do you want to create your own tortoise army? Do you want to earn millions of dollars selling them? If the last one is the goal, sorry, not gonna happen... By the time you have built enclosures and bought lighting and supplies and bought or built an incubator, and invested hundreds or thousands of hours, the 'per hr' wages are ridiculously low. You might break even.
Breeding is fun and very rewarding (not monetarily), but it's also not for the faint hearted. Sometimes babies die. It's a lot of work to raise babies for a few months before selling them (this is the way I believe it should be done). Sometimes the female gets injured durig mating. Dealing with buyers is a lot of work and sometimes stressful (but also really fun and rewarding).

I have to admin I cringe a little when someone says 'I want tortoises so I can breed' - in my opinion it's best to want tortoises so you can provide them with the best possible life, and if that goes well, they might gift you with babies some day.
The reason I want to so badly is cause I wanna experience the baby phase and conserve species.😀 not really for money. I just love baby tortoises and having the thrill of watching them hatch!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The reason I want to so badly is cause I wanna experience the baby phase and conserve species.😀 not really for money. I just love baby tortoises and having the thrill of watching them hatch!
That's the dumbest reason I have ever heard. And you have no business keeping tortoises let alone breeding them.
Learn about your subject. Research...this is a living being you are talking about wanting. You'd better know how to keep one or it will die

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
I know how to keep tortoises. What reason would you breed them for? Or keep them for?
That's the dumbest reason I have ever heard. And you have no business keeping tortoises let alone breeding them.
Learn about your subject. Research...this is a living being you are talking about wanting. You'd better know how to keep one or it will die

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you talking about? Why is wanting to see babies hatch and possibly contributing to species conservation dumb? Those are the primary reasons why I do it!

You are talking to an enthusiastic teenager, who is learning about how all these things work. He's asking questions and learning from the answers. He's getting better every day. Help him. Don't try to slap him down. This kid will still be keeping tortoises when you and I are dead and gone. He'll be the one teaching new people how to do it. Let's teach him well, not call his reasoning dumb.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Experiencing the baby phase is pretty special. If you are willing to wait to produce your own babies, I definitely recommend you purchase captive bred babies of the species you want, raise them, and when they are big enough, you can look into breeding. Be careful where you purchase your tortoises, make sure they are started correctly with daily soaking, healthy varied diet, proper humidity. You may need to spend a little extra money to get healthy babies. Aim to by directly from the breeder rather than from a reseller.

Research different species (their size, their origin and climate requirements - you mentioned elongated tortoises, which are a fabulous species. I know several people who have them, I don't personally know anyone who breeds them.

Depending on where you live, there may be some species you shouldn't go for. Also keep adult size in mind, as well as winter needs (do they need a constant 80°F ambient temp, or do they need to hibernate (brumate) at fridge temp for 3-4 months?

Reactions: Tom

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Experiencing the baby phase is pretty special. If you are willing to wait to produce your own babies, I definitely recommend you purchase captive bred babies of the species you want, raise them, and when they are big enough, you can look into breeding. Be careful where you purchase your tortoises, make sure they are started correctly with daily soaking, healthy varied diet, proper humidity. You may need to spend a little extra money to get healthy babies. Aim to by directly from the breeder rather than from a reseller.

Research different species (their size, their origin and climate requirements - you mentioned elongated tortoises, which are a fabulous species. I know several people who have them, I don't personally know anyone who breeds them.

Depending on where you live, there may be some species you shouldn't go for. Also keep adult size in mind, as well as winter needs (do they need a constant 80°F ambient temp, or do they need to hibernate (brumate) at fridge temp for 3-4 months?
How do I hibernate A tortoise? Do I just leave him outside in the winter and he will do it himself or....

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
It depends on the species of tortoise. Many are not hibernating (brumating) species! But Russian tortoises, Hermanni, Greek (but not all) hibernate, as do many American tortoises.
No, you would never just leave them outside. Different species have different temperature requirements. I suggest you do a word search for brumation or hibernation and the species of tortoise you are wondering about here in the forum. This should give you the info you seek.
I keep/breed/hibernate (brumate) my Russian tortoises in a designated fridge. But the methods/temps/humidity for this speces are different than for others. The info is available here in the TFO.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
DO you have to Hibernate (brumate) tortoises that do hibernate?
It depends on the species of tortoise. Many are not hibernating (brumating) species! But Russian tortoises, Hermanni, Greek (but not all) hibernate, as do many American tortoises.
No, you would never just leave them outside. Different species have different temperature requirements. I suggest you do a word search for brumation or hibernation and the species of tortoise you are wondering about here in the forum. This should give you the info you seek.
I keep/breed/hibernate (brumate) my Russian tortoises in a designated fridge. But the methods/temps/humidity for this speces are different than for others. The info is available here in the TFO.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
DO you have to Hibernate (brumate) tortoises that do hibernate?
You don't "have" to brumate them, but in my opinion, you should. They will survive if you keep them up and active all winter. Usually they try to brumate anyway, but with some effort, you can usually stop it.

Leaving them outside to fend for themselves is often a death sentence.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Do I put them in the fridge if I hibernate them??? That sounds really morbid and scary. 😂
You don't "have" to brumate them, but in my opinion, you should. They will survive if you keep them up and active all winter. Usually they try to brumate anyway, but with some effort, you can usually stop it.

Leaving them outside to fend for themselves is often a death sentence.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do I put them in the fridge if I hibernate them??? That sounds really morbid and scary. 😂
Yes, but after a long lead in process. Its not scary. It is consistent. This is how you regulate the temperature and keep it in the ideal range for the entire brumation period. Leaving them outside subjects them to wild temperature fluctuations in some cases. Sometimes much too warm and sometimes too cold. The fridge is always the correct temperature.