breeding and what incubator to use?

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Yes, but after a long lead in process. Its not scary. It is consistent. This is how you regulate the temperature and keep it in the ideal range for the entire brumation period. Leaving them outside subjects them to wild temperature fluctuations in some cases. Sometimes much too warm and sometimes too cold. The fridge is always the correct temperature.
How long do they need to be in the fridge?

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
All the questions you have are answered in some threads already. Here are a few, but there are many more via the search function.

They go into a bin of coconut coir or clean sterilized dirt, with air holes, in the fridge after proper wind down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How long do they need to be in the fridge?
It varies. People tend to brumate younger, smaller tortoises for a shorter time frame. Maybe 8 weeks. Older animals are often left for 12-16 weeks. I go by the current weather when deciding to wake mine. I put them down around the end of November after a month long process. I wake them when we will have a consistent 10 day warm sunny spell in spring. After that, I use their temperature controlled night boxes to keep them up and healthy if we have spring cold spells.