Breeding Box Turtles, I have a few questions.

C.H.D Reptiles

How long does it take for a female to lay eggs after mating? also how long does it take for the eggs to hatch? I had my trio of eastern's breed yesterday, and the day before, and today. so I think they are fertile. What temp should I have the incubator? or should I just let them hatch in the ground? I live in Alabama so it stays warm all winter. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Female box turtles lay their eggs according to the time of year, not according to when they've been bred. They nest in the spring so the eggs will hatch in September. It's usually about a 3 month incubation period. I like to keep my temperature set around 85F degrees. If you want the eggs to incubate naturally, you should mark the nest (or put a wire basket around it) and keep an eye out for predators. Skunks are very good at sniffing out buried eggs.

C.H.D Reptiles

Female box turtles lay their eggs according to the time of year, not according to when they've been bred. They nest in the spring so the eggs will hatch in September. It's usually about a 3 month incubation period. I like to keep my temperature set around 85F degrees. If you want the eggs to incubate naturally, you should mark the nest (or put a wire basket around it) and keep an eye out for predators. Skunks are very good at sniffing out buried eggs.
Its spring so what time of spring do they usually lay? (Spring in Alabama is February to May)

Rachael403

Location (City and/or State)
NE, USA
I would love to see pictures of your baby hatchlings when they are born. I love seeing pictures of baby turtles. I have never been blessed with mine having babies.