Breeding Hermanni, by Steve Buxton

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
New member, @Steve Buxton , sent the following to me in a private conversation, I believe, by mistake. I'm pretty sure he meant it for the open forum:

Hi everyone
Just wanted to share a short story no intention of contradiction or to try and preach .
I live in Murcia Spain and have a pair of hermen torts we were not advised by pet shop to not have one of either sex . Built a nice little house in the garden and things generally seemed quite happy for a couple of years .
Although very surprised the amount of time they hibernated or indeed that they hibernated at all due to the temp .
Well this Spring time our little male defiantly had a severe touch of the randy's and although a fair bit smaller than the female managed to do the deed (a good few times ) and although he was rough and we were concerned for her well being there was sufficient room for her to hide and escape she didn't show any signs of distress .
Although lots of wishful thinking and reading forums and even our local (very good vet) assured us it would come to nothing . We were concerned about gravid female not finding good site and dying with un laid eggs stuck inside of her . So because we're getting on and worry about things like that I tipped a bag of sand in the sunniest part of the garden . Many week after we just happened to be passing and there she was laying eggs we actually whitnissed three eggs being laid but no idea how many were actually laid . Then the weather turned a bit chilly not uk chilly but nothing like the 30deg required about a month later the femail was in her laying position again although we could not actally see for sure and did not want to disturb her . One of my questions at that time that I was unable to find the answer was were tort eggs like chicken eggs and only start to grow when the temp is right well if you have managed to read so far you will have guessed we have had one hatch from the first batch and would you believe another today from the second batch four days later .
So what I have learnt so far from Mother Nature its self
They clearly can and will lay in sand and the temp although much hotter than good old uk defiantly not stable up and down day and night .
The eggs don't start to develope until the temp or conditions are right
We think that the first to hatch is male so although he took nearly a month longer was the temp lower ?
Our adults don't like a bath
And as if they both knew he eased right off her after mating was complete
Apparently we now have to get them registered by the vet to say they were born here
Obviously we still have great optimism that there might be more to come in the next few days
Hope this was of some interest