• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
We have been in contact with a private zoo that has a large male aldabra that we have been trying to purchase for many years. This male aldabra is giant and we have the history of him prior to the zoo getting him. Bottom line, he is a proven breeder and would be of great asset to our breeding program. The owner just will not sell him, he did give us an astronomical figure last year and I said sold! He then stated that he was just kidding and that he did not think we would even entertain his rediculous offer. This year he proposed that we place the male into our herd on the basis of a breeding loan for the breeding season only and he wanted a percentage of the hatchlings as compensation.

The question/concern is how would you determine how many hatchlings the new male was responsible for, if any? We have high fertility now with our existing group and it would be impossible to determine his contribution to the overall production level, if any at all.

I feel he would be a great permanent asset to our program, however only if purchased, not for six months as a revolving breeding loan.

Please feel free to post any thoughts, comments, or perspectives. I sometimes do not see the obvious and seem to lack common sense, lol.
Thanks to all, Greg//ALDABRAMAN.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Greg:

I don't know how strict you are on quarantine, but in my opinion, it wouldn't be worth it. You'd have to quarantine him for such a long time, then put him with only a couple females and not the whole herd, so you would know they're his babies.

In my opinion (and I'm not very experienced in the breeding department), the reason you have such good luck with fertility is because you have males (plural) and females all together in one herd. The males testosterone gets pumped up because of having other males to compete with.

If this big male were by himself with only a pair or more of females, you might not have such a high fertility rate.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The main problem I see is that the owner of the other tortoise would come out on top, it would be hard to prove how many hatchlings were his,and the owner sounds like someone who would just assume all hatchlings were from his male, and want xx amount of all the hatchlings produced. Personally I would not do the breeding program, like you said the fertile rates are high right now,personally it would seem to be to your detriment to do this. My 2 cents.

dbsneed69

5 Year Member
TN
Don't do it Greg!! Your torts are beautiful. If you don't have a way to prove that the loaner was the father, why risk giving up those little ones? Just out of curiosity, how on earth would you move those giants around? Could the stress of a move hinder the big guys "performance"? I am so curious about the breeding program you have. I say, don't mess with what works. Keep posting those pics, they absolutely amaze me.

Dennis

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I would figure out how much cash you would be willing to pay for one season of stud service from this guy. Divide by $1500 and offer a flat rate number of hatchlings irreguardless of how many hatchlings you get. Lets say you would be willing to spend $6000 for a seasons services, then offer 4 hatchlings, period.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
emysemys said:
Hi Greg:

I don't know how strict you are on quarantine, but in my opinion, it wouldn't be worth it. You'd have to quarantine him for such a long time, then put him with only a couple females and not the whole herd, so you would know they're his babies.

In my opinion (and I'm not very experienced in the breeding department), the reason you have such good luck with fertility is because you have males (plural) and females all together in one herd. The males testosterone gets pumped up because of having other males to compete with.

If this big male were by himself with only a pair or more of females, you might not have such a high fertility rate.

I agree with all you said, thank you.

dmmj said:
The main problem I see is that the owner of the other tortoise would come out on top, it would be hard to prove how many hatchlings were his,and the owner sounds like someone who would just assume all hatchlings were from his male, and want xx amount of all the hatchlings produced. Personally I would not do the breeding program, like you said the fertile rates are high right now,personally it would seem to be to your detriment to do this. My 2 cents.

My perspective also, thank you.

HerpHouses

5 Year Member
Maybe I'm confused but what you have seems to be working?? YES diversity in the males might be nice but I would say NO Buy it or forget it? I also see someone said you have alot of picutres IM NEW here where do I see them??
Thanks
Danny Boy Hawaii

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Considering that tortoises store sperm, up to years at a time, there would be no guarantee that any babies would be his in the first place.

I don't think this sounds like a viable option. It is probably going to cost you more (in hatchling worth) than it would ever gain you. I agree that he would only be an asset if he was a permanent fixture in your herd.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Kristina said:
Considering that tortoises store sperm, up to years at a time, there would be no guarantee that any babies would be his in the first place.

I don't think this sounds like a viable option. It is probably going to cost you more (in hatchling worth) than it would ever gain you. I agree that he would only be an asset if he was a permanent fixture in your herd.

My perspective to the point, thank you.

HerpHouses said:
Maybe I'm confused but what you have seems to be working?? YES diversity in the males might be nice but I would say NO Buy it or forget it? I also see someone said you have alot of picutres IM NEW here where do I see them??
Thanks
Danny Boy Hawaii

Welcome, check under the aldabra section.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
It's a shame someone like that has him. He sounds like a bonehead!
Too bad you have to deal with him to have a chance to get the tortoise.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
kbaker said:
It's a shame someone like that has him. He sounds like a bonehead!
Too bad you have to deal with him to have a chance to get the tortoise.

Well, he is very hard to deal with indeed. However, he is all business, the tortoise is on display with two others.

My gut tells me he might reconsider as the economy continues to fail. He was three total. We have purchased several from him years ago on two different transactions.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I agree with you and the rest of the group. Hold off. I have a feeling he will be joining you eventually.

I couldn't choose Yes or No for the poll because I couldn't figure out what the actual yes/no question was?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Robert said:
I agree with you and the rest of the group. Hold off. I have a feeling he will be joining you eventually.

I couldn't choose Yes or No for the poll because I couldn't figure out what the actual yes/no question was?

I see your point, Yes take him on breeding loan, No do not.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I think everyone has made really good points in their comments, but I would like to offer a different opinion. What was said about the quarantine issue is probably the most important point considering how rare your herd is. I urge you emphatically, don't ever do ANYTHING that would risk the health of your herd. It seems stupid to even say that, because obviously you know that. My opinion only applies to the assumed situation where you have determined that it is safe to introduce this male to your herd.

If you determine that it will not pose a threat to your herd in any way, I think it would be awesome to bring him in even if it is only for the breeding season. Genetic diversity is invaluable when breeding rare reptiles. It is worth a LOT of effort to add new genes to your group.

The way I would address the issue is the same as has been suggested already. Set a "price" ahead of time. Either x# of babies, or X# of dollars. Tell this guy I will give you one or the other and then there is no question about who fathered what. This means there would be a chance that you are giving the owner some babies or money that he hasn't earned if his male doesn't mate, but I think it would be worth it for the opportunity to add new genes to your group.

I have no idea what the average number of babies an aldabra "pair" would produce in a breeding season, but I would probably offer about 1/3 of whatever the average is, or the equivalent $ amount. I know the money is not a huge issue for you so I would be willing to take the chance.

This is just my opinion. I agree with everyone who has basically said, "Don't risk your current success!" Don't do it if you think it might mess up what you have going. If you are confident that this guy won't screw up anything, then DO IT!

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Just to add a bit to Jeff's post, if you were to do it I would make it contigent on a contract of several years so you are guaranteed (or much more likely) to benefit from the genetic diversity potential of a new male in the "herd". If he only wants to do it for one breeding season, then the likelihood of you benefiting is almost nill.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HerpHouses said:
Thanks
Danny Boy Hawaii

Hi Danny Boy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum! Won't you please take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself and your tortoises?

If you go to the "search" feature and put in "aldabraman" you will get many hits that show his pictures.

Chad Horne

5 Year Member
Surprise, Arizona
I say NO Greg, you have a nice active breeding group now. This loaned male would not create more profits for you, only the owner. So Having him for only a handful of months each year does nothing for you. This person would simply benefit from your years of hard work!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
In a zoo setting, breeding loans provide great benefits to both zoo & animals... but in my personal life, no go, my turtles are mine & any I acquire as well.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wouldn't do the loan personally. Quaranteen would be my biggest reason, as I am pretty strict about it. I bet he is only hanging onto him because he knows you want him so much. Maybe if you show little to no interest in him he'll offer him to you? Play hard to get... lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.