Breeding Redfoot help

Status
Not open for further replies.

poh1984

5 Year Member
hi 2 of my red foot had been mating everyday.
i am keeping total of 1 male 2 females and 1 unsex redfoot together.

What should i do now?
Should i separate them?
How the enclose to be setup?
Should i buy an incubator now?
Please advise as this is my first time, i need to standby before it start laying

Thanks in advance

This is the enclose they are staying now.

Attachments

• 20130523_163209.jpg
    20130523_163209.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 75

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
It's going to be months until they lay if they were successful also incubators you could wait until that happens or Right now I believe the newest incubator is $125 So it's a great time to buy however you probably have a three month window...

Normally what I do I separate the male however if he's not irritating them I let them all within the same perimeter not encloser just perimeter

poh1984

5 Year Member
tyrs4u said:
It's going to be months until they lay if they were successful also incubators you could wait until that happens or Right now I believe the newest incubator is $125 So it's a great time to buy however you probably have a three month window...

Normally what I do I separate the male however if he's not irritating them I let them all within the same perimeter not encloser just perimeter

hi thanks for reply i have total 4 red foot in the enclose. But the male is still mating the female everyday. Is it ok?

pennyw

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
north carolina
I would look into buying an incubator soon. I found my first egg this morning and no incubator . Better to be prepared than stressed. I didn't know if mine were old enough for eggs. I know now!

poh1984

5 Year Member
Push for more advice

Sent from my GT-I9500 using TortForum mobile app

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
If your intentions are to produce hatchlings , then it is never a bad idea to have your “materials “ on hand before she drops her eggs. Remember though …a new incubator needs to be run a few days prior with constant monitoring and comparison of the temperatures and humidity. Thus “ fine tuning” so a “constant” can be achieved for the next 4-5 months. On a side note … Usually young or first time females who do lay , the eggs tend not to be fertile . Even with mature adults , who are “proven”… will lay infertile eggs thru out the year. Good luck and happy hatching …:shy:

JD~ :)

poh1984

5 Year Member
Thanks for reply. How about the laying setup? What should i do in the enclose? Also they are still mating everyday is it normal?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
poh1984 said:
Thanks for reply. How about the laying setup? What should i do in the enclose? Also they are still mating everyday is it normal?

Mating can and will take place year round ' depending on temps in your area....Other factors include the maturity level ( folks tend to think “size” and that has nothing to do with laying fertile eggs) of your female , you may see mating for years before she produces eggs that might actually hatch or even being laid . Even with mating sessions thru out the year does not necessarily mean she will produce eggs during those times ….
as far as a nesting set up .... they tend to set their on "spots" ... but you should provide an aera with a substrate with at least 12-16" in depth if your tort is housed in an indoor enclosure

JD~

poh1984

5 Year Member
Thanks JD for the reply how about looking at my setup on the first post? Everything doing fine? And how am i going to setup the spot in my enclose above? Pls advice i purchase these 2 tortoise last year (they are already adult size) as i have no experience on breeding yet i need more guideance thanks

And also how am i know she is having eggs?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
poh...
Your enclosure looks fine … you may want to dig up the corner dirt area and till in some peat moss , sand ….ect . This will make her dig easier ,,,if she chooses that spot. Most of the time they will tend to nest up against a corner of an object ex: wall, bush, stump ect ..
Knowing your female has eggs is a learned trait on your part and a lot of interaction with your tort in learning her personality. There are tell tell signs that you will see in her routine that are just not “ the norm” . Such activities will be a constant pace around her enclosure , not too interested in eating .. And of course the constant soaks. The more time you spend with your animals the easier these signs become more recognizable. Aside from the waiting period of incubation times … the “ find the nest” is probably the second hardest thing to achieve when trying to breed. They are very stealthy and if you don’t see exactly where she is nesting .. There is a high chance of you missing the eggs. Why the better you get at recognizing her *pre-nesting behavior* the higher the chances of you spotting her nesting. Also there will plenty of times she will nest for hours and then just walk away …. With no eggs being deposited nor a cover up of the initial dig …

JD~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.