Breeding Russians who don't live together

swatsx

5 Year Member
So I moved my male and female into separate living quarters for fear of domestic violence, if in the future I wish to breed them how can I do so ?

swatsx

5 Year Member
I would sell them everywhere around me sells wild caught to anyone with 100 bucks at least I could sell captive bred ones to people I can make sure know what they are doing

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yup everybody wants breed and sell but then the tide turns to sorry got no time , or you put the male with the female just a little to long or unsupervised and you'll come find the male chopped the females leg off or the price drops . So you sell them to a pet shop . Who puts them in a glass box with rabbit pellets . Please I'm just asking to put some thought in to this . And good luck !

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Yes, if you want to 'get them together', so to speak, have a good think about the consequences and ensure they are chaperoned.
Best of luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
There is not an easy once size fits all answer to this. I can't speak from personal experience, but I've read up on the subject and talked to a lot of people about their experiences with it.

Most of the breeding for Russians, in most cases, is concentrated in the spring and fall. Mating for russians tends to be a little rough and aggressive. The male will harass the female into submission. If she keeps trying to walk away, he will often bite her legs to make her retract them and stop walking. Then he will go around and try to mount. This process sometimes needs to be repeated several times for the female to give in. The hope is that no major damage is done in the process. Some times the process is very violent, and other times they just walk right up and do the deed. Depends on many factors. Enclosure size and design, the weather, whether or not you hibernated them, their personalities etc...

Just try something and make any needed adjustments to the plan when and if you see a need. Some people put them together for 2 or 3 days, while others just put them together for a couple hours, wait a few days and repeat. The tortoise's personalities can vary so much, and each individual situation also has so many variables, that is impossible to lay out a recipe that is certain to work for everyone.