Breeding Signs??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

malonemadness

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have two Russians ....male and female. How long after mating does the female produce eggs if she is going too? Can you see changes in the tortoise such as weight gain, shell growth etc? I swear my female looks fatter and wider in the rear. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. Any other behaviors that are a key???

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
It's normally going to be about a month later. However for some folks, for whatever reason, it seems they only do fall egg laying.

The female will become restless, doing pacing usually. Then she starts digging. Normally they seem to do a couple of test nest, before often it seems going back to their first location..lol. Usually for a couple of days they go off food. Of course different females do behave differently so she could do both things or no signs at all.

There normally is some weight gain by the females. If you think there is any chance at all she may have eggs, treat her like she does.

Make certain she has a great diet and the calcium around to eat. Prepare her a good location for nesting, if there isn't already one in her current pen. You don't want her to not find a good laying site and not lay her eggs.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
im crossing my fingers for you malonemadness!
be sure to keep us updated with photos!

malonemadness

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
josh said:
im crossing my fingers for you malonemadness!
be sure to keep us updated with photos!

I hope she is. I have read that Russians do not reproduce well in captivity so we will see. I will be sure and let everyone know how it turns out.

In the meantime, I will read-up on my duties as a surrogate mom.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Actually quite a few people are having lots of success breeding the Russians. I think we are finally starting to get the bugs worked out of the process.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I just received a ebook that I ordered from carolina pets, it is about the total care of russians, everything from habitat to feeding and supplements to breeding. The doctor who wrote the book supposivly is one of the first people to breed russians in captivity. It is called Russian Tortoise Care and Breeding. I purchased it because I am hoping for babies in the next few years. I will keep you in my thoughts and hopefully you will see some eggs.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That would be Joe Heinen. He is really good and great at sharing what he has learned.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
Hey, how to know when your tortoise is pregnant with eggs and ready to lay: from tortoisetrust.org

HOW CAN I TELL IF A FEMALE IS GOING TO HAVE EGGS?

Most females will begin to behave somewhat strangely in the period immediately before they are due to lay. Typical behaviour includes aggression displays towards other females, hyper-activity and climbing over obstacles, even attempts to 'mate' other tortoises (male or female) including making the high pitched vocalisations usually only heard from males. Females carrying eggs may also reduce their food intake, and sometimes may stop feeding altogether just prior to laying. Another way to tell is to ask your veterinary surgeon to X-ray a tortoise you suspect may be pregnant - although this is really only justified in ''problem'' cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.