breeding size for males and females?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehopkins12

5 Year Member
Just wanted to know the breeding size and age for males and females?

Greg Knoell

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Laveen, AZ
I have had success with males as small as 4.5 inches. My females began laying when they were almost 6 inches straight line measured and over 850 grams in weight. When I first received my females they were 4-5 inches long and around 400-600 grams. It took them 3-4 years to attain breeding size from here. They might have grown faster but I choose to brumate them every year for 3-4 months, so this slowed their grow rate a bit.

:D Gregbabyrussian1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Greg Knoell said:
I have had success with males as small as 4.5 inches.

:D Greg

Hi Greg:

I know you've been a member for over a year, but since this is your first post I'd like to apologize to ehopkins for an OT in their post, and...

141058dmcbars98i.gif

you to the forum!!

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Size is more important for females than males. My male is about 4.5-5" long and he is a successful breeder :) The females that I am breeding are two that are around 7" and close to 2 pounds, and one that is over 8" and close to 3 pounds (the male is just over 1 pound).

I have heard that 6" is the the starting point for females, so your new little girl might need to grow a bit more before she will breed successfully, but you never know. Plus, you'd be surprised at the growth potential of some of those imports once they have stable, good food and a good environment.

TortoiseMD

5 Year Member
I agree with Ryan, females have to be at least 6" however small males can still be sexually mature, but I think they have to be at least 4.5" (from my observation)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It depends on the subspecies as to when females are large enough to lay eggs. With T.h.horsfieldii and T.h.rustamovi it's 6" SCL with T.h.kazachstanica it's 5.5" SCL.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.