1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Bringing baby tortoise back and forth between indoor and outdoor enclosure

Discussion in 'Debatable Topics' started by Repeater09, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Repeater09

Repeater09 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Alabama
    Is it ok to bring baby tortoises (specifically redfoot) from their indoor enclosure to an outside one on a regular basis?

I have an indoor enclosure for my redfoot for him when it’s to cold and now we are at the point where it’s starting to warm up but not quite ready to be outside all the time due to his age and weather.

So I would like to keep him inside as much as I can but when it’s hot I’d like to take him outside for a bit.

Does this do anything stress wise? My setup inside is obviously not going to match exactly what the weather is doing and I’m concerned about moving him constantly to the point where he can’t “settle”
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I have been doing it that way for decades with all my species, sizes and ages. It is no problem. The tortoise gets the best of both worlds that way.
    TammyJ, wellington and Repeater09 like this.
  3. TammyJ

TammyJ Well-Known Member

Jamaica
    I take mine (2 year old redfoots) to their outdoor enclosure as often as I can.
    I think the things to be concerned about, mainly, are the weather (temperatures) and the security of the enclosure (safe from predators - dogs, cats, hawks, raccoons, humans....).
  4. ohio

ohio Active Member

NEOhio
    Been moving mine in and out for the last five years, they love there outdoor enclosures better.
    TammyJ and Kristy1970 like this.