Bringing home a yellowfoot possibly today

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Any chance of a photo of its plastron so we can all have a guess at its sex before the vet proves me wrong. Oh and what was the name of the area you got him/her from. I think he/she looks nice and that beak will soon reduce if you give him/her some cuttlefish and feed off a slate, and send a photo now, cant't keep saying him/her all the time and I don't like referring to torts as IT. lol:)
tap tap tap, the finger ends roll on the table as we anxiously wait for the photo.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Any chance of a photo of its plastron so we can all have a guess at its sex before the vet proves me wrong. Oh and what was the name of the area you got him/her from. I think he/she looks nice and that beak will soon reduce if you give him/her some cuttlefish and feed off a slate, and send a photo now, cant't keep saying him/her all the time and I don't like referring to torts as IT. lol:)
When I get home tonight I will be sure to take pics of all angles. I think it's a boy. And I swear all my other larger torts we're going crazy today. I think I have 4 females and a male now, I wonder if there's pheromones in the air lol!! Also I have a cuttlebone and a slate already in the new home. I got her from a lady living in a mobile home. He was in a corner by a couch with dog and cat hair, pieces of foil everywhere and old poop and pee on hay. The place stunk so bad, not just her cage the whole damn place! But I'm surprised as how active he is! I will send pics that are on my phone now and give you better ones when I get home tonight :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
When I get home tonight I will be sure to take pics of all angles. I think it's a boy. And I swear all my other larger torts we're going crazy today. I think I have 4 females and a male now, I wonder if there's pheromones in the air lol!! Also I have a cuttlebone and a slate already in the new home. I got her from a lady living in a mobile home. He was in a corner by a couch with dog and cat hair, pieces of foil everywhere and old poop and pee on hay. The place stunk so bad, not just her cage the whole damn place! But I'm surprised as how active he is! I will send pics that are on my phone now and give you better ones when I get home tonight :)
Well I was hoping to help you with the name, relating it to the area where he/she was from. But you going to sound daft shouting "mobile home" in the garden/yard. :D

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Th
Well I was hoping to help you with the name, relating it to the area where he/she was from. But you going to sound daft shouting "mobile home" in the garden/yard. :D
The tort is from New Haven Michigan. I so need a name :)

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
His beak doesn't look too bad. I think providing cuttlebone and a terracotta saucer to eat from should file it down a bit. My tortoise had a beak that long but trimming it stressed her out too much, so I left it as-is. Looks fine now!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Good morning Stojanovski

I think its female, but I'm still on the learning curve of torts, so nothing would surprise me. How long is her plastron, could be an immature male. But I'm going female. From the angle of the photo on her tail, it looks short and stubby, there no waist line, short neck and not much concavity of plastron. Anal scutes could be either way. However I've learnt nothing is a certain except the tail size. There's no marks on her plastron except 1 tiny one on right hand side just above where the light shines. Suggesting again either no exercise or all on soft ground.
What time you at vets, very curious as to what they say.
Should be a very educational day for you.

Bye :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
This tortoises skin is much lighter than my other torts...why? Is it related to nutr
Good morning Stojanovski

I think its female, but I'm still on the learning curve of torts, so nothing would surprise me. How long is her plastron, could be an immature male. But I'm going female. From the angle of the photo on her tail, it looks short and stubby, there no waist line, short neck and not much concavity of plastron. Anal scutes could be either way. However I've learnt nothing is a certain except the tail size. There's no marks on her plastron except 1 tiny one on right hand side just above where the light shines. Suggesting again either no exercise or all on soft ground.
What time you at vets, very curious as to what they say.
Should be a very educational day for you.

Bye :)

Hello :) well after researching, I also think she's female...my one largest redfoot who's a female has a HUGE tail. We are on our way to the vet in just a few minutes. I'm hoping I see the good vet today, last few times I was there, these vets were not as knowledgeable :(. However, I do need medicine for the URI. That's the main reason I'm going. Also this tortoise has a lighter skin color than my other torts. Wondering if it's from lack of everything. This lady stated she special ordered this tort from Brazil nearly six yrs ago and she asked if I knew how to care for a desert tortoise?? Anyways I will fill Ya in when I get back :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This tortoises skin is much lighter than my other torts...why? Is it related to nutr

Hello :) well after researching, I also think she's female...my one largest redfoot who's a female has a HUGE tail. We are on our way to the vet in just a few minutes. I'm hoping I see the good vet today, last few times I was there, these vets were not as knowledgeable :(. However, I do need medicine for the URI. That's the main reason I'm going. Also this tortoise has a lighter skin color than my other torts. Wondering if it's from lack of everything. This lady stated she special ordered this tort from Brazil nearly six yrs ago and she asked if I knew how to care for a desert tortoise?? Anyways I will fill Ya in when I get back :)
I'm not an expert but there skin colour can vary from where there original locality was. @tortadise @HLogic or @cdmay may be able to enlighten you on this subject. Good luck. If the Vet gets a needle out, grab your tort and run. lol :)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Well talking to the vet, she gave him eye drops for his eyes since they were very red. She believes the sides of his mout are a bit dry/cracked do to no soaking and she thinks this tort is male.
This would be a Redfoot. Looks like a columbian. Definitely a northern race.
thanks Tortadise:)

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Ok here are the after pics. The vet isn't going to give any medication just yet. Only eye drops due to the red eyes and swollen she stated. The vet also believes it's a male tortoise.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
View attachment 125012 View attachment 125013 View attachment 125014 View attachment 125015 Ok here are the after pics. The vet isn't going to give any medication just yet. Only eye drops due to the red eyes and swollen she stated. The vet also believes it's a male tortoise.
Ha, I'll get this sexing thing right one day, you see if I don't. lol His shell is developing the concavity. What length is his plastron. I can't wait till I've seen how they develop from juveniles to adults with my own eyes. Loooong process.
Sounds better than you thought then. Happy for you. :). Oh yeh, and you'll just have to tell your hubby that the yellow foots are extremely rare and if you come across one you can't afford to miss the opportunity. hee hee hee. Or you can just keep bringing redfoots home because thought they were yellow.;) Bye

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Ha, I'll get this sexing thing right one day, you see if I don't. lol His shell is developing the concavity. What length is his plastron. I can't wait till I've seen how they develop from juveniles to adults with my own eyes. Loooong process.
Sounds better than you thought then. Happy for you. :). Oh yeh, and you'll just have to tell your hubby that the yellow foots are extremely rare and if you come across one you can't afford to miss the opportunity. hee hee hee. Or you can just keep bringing redfoots home because thought they were yellow.;) Bye
image.jpg
I just did a quick measure, he's had a bit of a stressful day. And he wouldn't stop moving :)