Brown Anole in Splat pose getting some UVB

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
There are numerous small lizards, I assume Anoles, who make their home in Fezzik’s outdoor enclosure. Today I caught this one sunbathing and it was too funny not to get a picture…

They are at opposite ends of one of the C-curve blinds in the photo. Fezzik is trying to camouflage himself behind the Gnome Tortoise Riders, but it’s one of his less successful camouflages. Some days I have to spend many minutes looking for him before I find him. Today was not one of those days….

Attachments

• IMG_7020.jpeg
    IMG_7020.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7022.jpeg
    IMG_7022.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
It's nice to have house guests visit for a while! As long as they aren't annoying and don't leave a mess. :)

What kind of grass is the tall wide bladed stuff that Fezzik is using to thoroughly disappear? And what type of wood did you use for the posts to make the "C"?

I'm finally getting ready to actually start putting together the outdoor enclosure for my Hermanns and I'm always looking for options for building materials and plants. :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Very nice enclosure! The lizard doesn't look very anolish to me but I don't know.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
It's nice to have house guests visit for a while! As long as they aren't annoying and don't leave a mess. :)

What kind of grass is the tall wide bladed stuff that Fezzik is using to thoroughly disappear? And what type of wood did you use for the posts to make the "C"?

I'm finally getting ready to actually start putting together the outdoor enclosure for my Hermanns and I'm always looking for options for building materials and plants. :)

For the posts I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SGPFRP3/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

For what is in the enclosure, I did put down a lot of this seed mix:

https://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=590 and it has been very successful

but I think the grass could be just whatever was on the lawn before I converted it, growing tall b/c I don't cut it...

I also have a lot of Aeonium Black Roses, but that's because they just grow like weeds here, so I tossed in a few when I built the enclosure they took root

Here's a "full" picture of his enclosure. There's only two small water bubblers in the front of the enclosure, the rest is just rain fed, but I expect to die off in the next 1-2 months...

Attachments

• IMG_7013.jpg
    IMG_7013.jpg
    950.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
LOL definitely not prehistoric! These lizards are everyone where SoCal. The biggest I've ever seen is maybe 8" long, but that was a monster, I don't think they usually live long enough to get that big. At least not around me. @Tom probably knows more about them here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For the posts I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09SGPFRP3/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

For what is in the enclosure, I did put down a lot of this seed mix:

https://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=41&products_id=590 and it has been very successful

but I think the grass could be just whatever was on the lawn before I converted it, growing tall b/c I don't cut it...

I also have a lot of Aeonium Black Roses, but that's because they just grow like weeds here, so I tossed in a few when I built the enclosure they took root

Here's a "full" picture of his enclosure. There's only two small water bubblers in the front of the enclosure, the rest is just rain fed, but I expect to die off in the next 1-2 months...
That looks like blue hibiscus down in the right corer of the picture. Good tortoise food. When I looked it up years ago, it said it originated in Australia.

Your lizard is a western fence swift. Probably our most common local lizard. I've been playing with them since I was old enough to walk. They are wonderful lizards and I go out of my way to help them when I can. They have great personalities and are very intelligent. As a very small child, I think this was the first time I really had the thought in my head that as I look into the lizards eyes, there is someone in there looking back at me. I'll admit it may be some anthropomorphism, but they way they **** their head and look back at you with both eyes seems distinctly "aware" to me. I used to catch and examine just about any animal that I could as a little child, but these lizards really made an impression on me in a way that other animals didn't. I could see them studying me as I was studying them. They could run away like any other wild animal would, but they always seemed "curious" about me and my activities.

As a little boy, I would catch them and do my best to make them fantastic enclosures to live in. I'd give them water and food, and keep them captive for a few days, before releasing them right where I had found them. After release, they would follow me around and beg for food. Their interactions with each other and with me inspired a lifetime of curiosity about animal intelligence. As I got older, I moved on to larger and more exotic lizard pets from the pet stores, but these little ones will always hold a special place in my heart.

It takes me two or three feedings to get a wild one trusting enough to come take a roach from my hand. After 6 feedings, they will sit in the areas that people pass by and beg for food. I have them living on the front walkway of my house all summer long. I name them and talk to them as I pass by. They eat any flies or pest bugs that haunt the shady planted area leading up to my front door. They become pets to me even though they are as wild as can be, and I make sure no one messes with them. I notice when one of them goes missing.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes i have 8 hibiscus surrounding the enclosure, 1 red, 4 yellow, 3 blue. I'm slowly converting my whole yard to tortoise-friendly plants in case I ever get a free-roaming CDT (other than I have a %$@^-ton of Creeping Ficus blanketing my yard which may be a deal-breaker as I don't think I can get rid of it all.)

Good to know about the lizard. There are at least 4 living in/near the enclosure that I know of. They enjoy the shelter they can find there...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The little common brown anoles on my verandah certainly know when I am going to be there every morning. They are waiting for their treats. And we enjoy "eyeballing" each other too! They are so aware and personable!

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Look at this guy/gal, they are about a foot long, mostly tail…

Attachments

• 7A01558A-7D4C-4F58-A132-7440DDF00EF0.jpeg
    7A01558A-7D4C-4F58-A132-7440DDF00EF0.jpeg
    518.9 KB · Views: 1

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Look at this guy/gal, they are about a foot long, mostly tail…
that is a southern Alligator Lizzard. Not baskers like your western fence swift lizard. Instead like to bask more cryptically near cover. Also not as nice as the fence swifts. Alligator Lizards have a pretty strong bite!
Elgaria multicarinata

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Hey cool thanks!! After looking it up I wonder if it’s the Western Alligator Lizard instead? Looking forward to learning about them…

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hey cool thanks!! After looking it up I wonder if it’s the Western Alligator Lizard instead? Looking forward to learning about them…
From your location and the picture it looks like the subspecies webbii. SO... The Woodland / San Diego Alligator Lizard

Elgaria multicarinata webbii

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
that is a southern Alligator Lizzard. Not baskers like your western fence swift lizard. Instead like to bask more cryptically near cover. Also not as nice as the fence swifts. Alligator Lizards have a pretty strong bite!
Elgaria multicarinata
Elgaria multicaranata! Man, I wish I had a name like that.