Brown/Reddish Shell Discoloration. Freaking Out

SanctuaryHills

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
Morning y'all. Seeking help from the experts here. I noticed that the shells from my newest 3 tortoises are spotted all over with some sort brown/reddish blemishes. I cleaned them up with a soft toothbrush using some soap to make sure it wasn't just soil but the stains remained.

It's worth mentioning that humidity has been around 90% for the last month (South Florida) and with a lot of rain.

Any idea what it could be? Here are some pictures:

20220517_102821.jpg

20220517_102924.jpg

My three original Aldabras do seem to have a bit of the same discoloration but definitely not as pronounced. Here is one of them:

20220517_102733.jpg

Please help! 😭😭

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Looks normal to me. Aldabras normally hatch out brown in color. As they age the first several months they turn black.
Thank you for the reply! The thing is when I got them about 3 weeks ago they didn't have this spotting. Here is a picture from the first day they came home:

20220504_184500.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises, I should specify, HEALTHY baby tortoises all seem to have those squiggly lines throughout the keratin. None of us have found out why or how, but it's common. In tortoises with lighter shells the squiggles present as white or cream colored. Evidently your darker shelled babies' present as a reddish color. At any rate, it's nothing to worry about. There's no need to apply a topical as it's down inside the keratin.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
Baby tortoises, I should specify, HEALTHY baby tortoises all seem to have those squiggly lines throughout the keratin. None of us have found out why or how, but it's common. In tortoises with lighter shells the squiggles present as white or cream colored. Evidently your darker shelled babies' present as a reddish color. At any rate, it's nothing to worry about. There's no need to apply a topical as it's down inside the keratin.
Awesome, based on what you guys are saying, as well the breeder it seems I'm freaking out for no reason. I'll continue to keep an eye on them and update if necessary.

For what is worth they are all very active, they are eating well, and while I've RARELY seen any of my tortoises drinking water I do make sure to soak them often and maintain a dish with clean water for them.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Awesome, based on what you guys are saying, as well the breeder it seems I'm freaking out for no reason. I'll continue to keep an eye on them and update if necessary.

For what is worth they are all very active, they are eating well, and while I've RARELY seen any of my tortoises drinking water I do make sure to soak them often and maintain a dish with clean water for them.

Even if it seems like you're freaking out over nothing, noticing these small changes means you're likelier to catch something more serious earlier so i don't think its a bad quality to have.