Brumation: What is this thing that I have just heard about?

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
First off is there an age that is specific to this or can they start at any age? Second how long is it and how does it work? Third what are the benefits and is it necessary for my torts overall health? :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First off is there an age that is specific to this or can they start at any age? Second how long is it and how does it work? Third what are the benefits and is it necessary for my torts overall health? :D
You have a sulcata? Sulcatas come from the tropics. They don't hibernate. Only temperate species hibernate. Its a very controversial subject with many differing opinions and "feelings" on the matter.

Chasen

Galveston
For the species that do brumate, I don't know if there are health benefits to doing so in captivity. I can only speak from my experience. I had an adult Desert that brumated every winter and I found it a bit stressful on me worrying about how he was doing during his sleep. Making sure he had enough weight on, that he was hydrated enough and that the temps where I placed him were right. If I'd of had a choice, I would have kept him up through the winter.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For the species that do brumate, I don't know if there are health benefits to doing so in captivity. I can only speak from my experience. I had an adult Desert that brumated every winter and I found it a bit stressful on me worrying about how he was doing during his sleep. Making sure he had enough weight on, that he was hydrated enough and that the temps where I placed him were right. If I'd of had a choice, I would have kept him up through the winter.
I think it's harder on them for that reason because a lot of people can't or won't leave them alone and that can't be good on them. I don't brumate or primate lol my russian because I would have to always be checking on him.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

If a tortoise would brumate as part of their natural life cycle then you should provide the ability for the tort to do it..just my take.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
From what I have read here. They brumate when the temperature drops for the winter months. You have a sulcata correct?