Brumaton

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Brumaton

bigrussiantortoise said:
What is brumaton??? Someone plz tell me?? I know it has something to do with hibernation

It's when it is to hot out and they go and hide in a cool place to wait out the heat.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
mike taylor said:
bigrussiantortoise said:
What is brumaton??? Someone plz tell me?? I know it has something to do with hibernation

It's when it is to hot out and they go and hide in a cool place to wait out the heat.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

That would be aestivation.

bigrussiantortoise said:

Brumation is basically like hibernation. Technically reptiles don't hibernate, they brumate. I'm sure a quick Google search will explain the technical differences.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Brumation is the reptile version of hibernation. True hibernation takes place with mammals. The processes prior to, during and when awaking differ between reptiles and mammals. Brumation, like hibernation only takes place during the cold months and primarily only in the northern hemisphere. Aestivation is a completely different process, takes place for different reasons. It also typically only happens during extreme evironmental heat or dryness. It can take place anywhere on earth where conditions are right for it to happen. Because of the conditions of the situation hibernation and brumation usually take place over several months, with some species as long as 6-7 months. Aestivation can last months but is usually shorter, sometimes only a few weeks long at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.