BTS species and breeder help!

Nicole M

5 Year Member
So... I've completely fallen in love with blue tongue skinks. I don't know how I've only just noticed them!

Of course there are personality differences in individuals of any species, but for those with BTS experience, what would you consider to be the tamest BTS species? From what I've read and seen, I feel most drawn to Northerns--but again, I'm new to blue tongues and don't have firsthand experience.

I also hate the WC market for obvious reasons (obviously CB populations need to come from somewhere, but in mass quantities, it's not sustainable and I can't condone it), and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend good breeders for Northerns (or any species you recommends)? I'd be looking for a baby, since I don't see many BTS in reptile shelters, and my search has really come up dry! bluetongueskinks.net has been an excellent source of information, and while I would absolutely trust them to start their babies off right, their sales page has not been updated in over a year.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I had a pair of Indos from wild caught parents that I loved to death, but apparently they are hit or miss as far as temperment goes.
I've only ever dealt with a meruke who hated me and a northern that was morbidly obese and puppy dog sweet.

I love them all. Super pets. Not to ever turn you away from TFO but there is a great BTS forum you should check out, even if only for their care sheets.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Northern are great, as are Irian jayas. I know @Tom keeps blue tongues. Maybe he can point you in the direction of a good breeder. They are awesome lizards.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Bummer. I just sold my last northern a month or two ago. You might be too late in the season for a baby, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Indos or other types. I've only kept the northerns. I only know what I've read and been told about the others. CB Northerns are great almost all the time.

@JeffG is a forum member here, and while he's a humble and modest guy, he knows more about all the different BTS than anyone I know. He'd be the guy to ask. Send him a "conversation", and I will email and text him to check TFO since he doesn't spend much time here anymore. If he has one, I HIGHLY recommend getting it from him. The BTS that Jeff gave me is the only one I still have. My Dad stole it from me. (Not really. I let him take it…)

Nicole M

5 Year Member
Bummer. I just sold my last northern a month or two ago. You might be too late in the season for a baby, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Indos or other types. I've only kept the northerns. I only know what I've read and been told about the others. CB Northerns are great almost all the time.

@JeffG is a forum member here, and while he's a humble and modest guy, he knows more about all the different BTS than anyone I know. He'd be the guy to ask. Send him a "conversation", and I will email and text him to check TFO since he doesn't spend much time here anymore. If he has one, I HIGHLY recommend getting it from him. The BTS that Jeff gave me is the only one I still have. My Dad stole it from me. (Not really. I let him take it…)
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful. Seeing your posts here (and knowing your standards for keeping and breeding), a recommendation from you means a lot! I'll send him a message now.