Bubba & Squirt from Sunny San Diego

sandiegowarrior

5 Year Member
Bubba is a male sulcata that is 7 years old
Squirt is a female (I believe) that is about 2-3 years old

Any other sulcata tortoises from the San Diego area ?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1381641230.476129.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381641254.622952.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381642126.328258.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381642154.603825.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381642165.161133.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381642177.965821.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381642286.559203.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381642295.408139.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1381642309.937887.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What great pics....how long have you had them? Is that a heaping foam plate of apples? Adorable faces for sure :p:p

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I have a 3 year old female named squirt too!!! Plus 2, 1 year olds. Squirt is about 12 inches and I'd say around 6 lbs. haven't taken her to the vet lately to get weighed. I'll attach a pic :)
Also, I'm not an expert but it looks like the largest one has mbd??
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381651885.735091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

erica anne

5 Year Member
It looks like MBD to me too :( I can tell that you love your tortoises but they don't look healthy at all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
but they don't look healthy at all.

Perhaps they are rescue or adoptions or someone has found the Forum in search of new information on husbandry.....or simply to share their beautiful torts with us....

Again, welcome to the Forum and we look forward to sharing about your torts and ours here....

sandiegowarrior

5 Year Member
Unfortunately bubba has pyramiding. Took him to the vet and he is going through a new diet. His recuperation is going great and his shell is coming together great. His shell is looking smoother. I will upload updated pics soon. Squirt on the other hand is perfectly healthy.

I have now started to keep my tortoises more hydrated. Another big reason for pyramiding. I provide a water bowl and now shower them with water more often.

erica anne

5 Year Member
That is great! There is so much great info here! They are very cute little guys :)

ascott said:
but they don't look healthy at all.

Perhaps they are rescue or adoptions or someone has found the Forum in search of new information on husbandry.....or simply to share their beautiful torts with us....

Again, welcome to the Forum and we look forward to sharing about your torts and ours here....

Yikes! I didn't mean anything bad. Just sharing my thoughts same as you :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
About San Diego and sulcata owners, there are dozens. Some here on TFO, some that meet at the SDTTS, and then all those lurkers. The posts flash through so fast that the other SD people may not have looked within the past 6 to 20 hours it takes to clear out the 'recent posts' tab/area.

I don't have sulcatas in my home, but do have a few others.

What local vet did you go to? The area has many practicing herp vets, not dog and cat vets learning with your pets as study animals.

I've been here less than a year now, but Wow what a great place to live.

WELCOME.

Will

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to San Diego, Will. Glad you like it. You are absolutely right about sulcata keepers in San Diego. There are many lurking about. And there are several herp vets as well. I can recommend a couple that I have used. Both of them raise leopards and are members of SDTTS.

Will said:
About San Diego and sulcata owners, there are dozens. Some here on TFO, some that meet at the SDTTS, and then all those lurkers. The posts flash through so fast that the other SD people may not have looked within the past 6 to 20 hours it takes to clear out the 'recent posts' tab/area.

I don't have sulcatas in my home, but do have a few others.

What local vet did you go to? The area has many practicing herp vets, not dog and cat vets learning with your pets as study animals.

I've been here less than a year now, but Wow what a great place to live.

WELCOME.

Will

sandiegowarrior

5 Year Member
Pyramiding hasn't got any worse and I have noticed it's getting smoother but it's been a slow process. They are kept outdoors all year but do have proper lighting in there dog house.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Looks like the smaller one has caught up size-wise with the bigger one. San Diego is a great place for plants and tortoises!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
You should keep an eye on that burrow under the concrete. Charlie built his and it eventually went under our house. They never stop digging. We were afraid our house would cave in, so we had to fill it in. The rough edge of the concrete can scrape their shells when they dig. However, I believe that allowing them to dig burrows gives them the humidity they need and the ability to control their temperatures themselves, so I encourage Charlie to dig. We just have to make sure he isn't going underneath any structure.

San Diego is a great place to raise tortoises.