Bubble and squeak are settling into their new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

eajspider

5 Year Member
Bubble and squeak are really settled now and becoming less afraid ,bubble even strains his neck to look up at you when we come near. The first few days they were not eating much I gave them short baths and they drank lots of water everyday as i know in the pet shop they were not given any so i want to make sure they are well hydrated.

They have been eating well the last 2 days , this morning after warming up under the lamp, they both went and sat on the raised wood where we put the food like they were waiting for us to bring them food.

They both seem to like different foods better squeak loved the chicory and ate 3 pieces where as bubbles loved the spinach and ate it all so i had to give more for squeak. Can i feed spinach once a week or is that too much.
We have been putting food out in the morning and late afternoon and letting them eat what they want is that correct or to much to little?
what is a good weight gain in a week as we are going to buy some scales to keep a eye on their growth.

They like their lamp and bubbles loves to have his head directly under the lamp for a while then goes into the cool covered end and digs and sleeps , squeak tends not to go under the lamp but likes to sleep on a warm stone.

It amazes me how different they are and we enjoy watching them eat and feeding them by hand.

Emma and Omar

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm so glad that Bubbles and Squeak are getting comfortable in their new home; it warms my heart that you saved them from that pet
store environment. Just had to comment on that. :)
As for your more technical questions, I'll have a more experienced member answer as I do not own the same species as you.
The weight I definitely cannot give you an answer for, but I think that the Spinach once a week might be a bit much...however, I could be completely wrong. Again, better I let someone else comment :p

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I to think spinach once a week is to much . I feed mine twice a day plus I have some grass in with them so they can graze when they want:tort: as far as weight they all grow different as long as they are gaining weight and are healthy no worries :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
We are so glad to hear that they are doing well! That is great progress in one week. Soaks work wonders. It won't hurt to get some bird vitamins and put some in the water for a few weeks, they will absorb some through their skin, or if they drink.
Spinach can be fed, and it is in the 'Spring Mix' that many of us use in winter in the US. So small amounts are ok, it might be that a lot of Spinach once per week is a bit too much.
Torts are very opinionated about what they like. You can feed them their favorites, at first in larger amounts, chopped finely and mixed with other foods. Gradually increase the other foods in the mix and they will become more flexible and eat a wider range of foods.
Try to feed them as much variety as you can, sometimes hard to do unless you grow some of your own, depending on what is available in your country. As our winter approaches, I have gotten to know the produce sections of our grocery stores very well!
Here is a good thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ed-Greeks-Russians-Sulcatas-etc#axzz1auPw21m5 Not everything they can eat is on this list, just a guideline.
For a lot of plants higher in oxalates, it really make a difference if they are hydrated, as yours now are.
They do have amazing personalities.
Good job, both of you!

eajspider

5 Year Member
IMG_0007.JPGThanks everyone , this site is so nice and very helpful and a real nice group of people .

I looked at the list of food and I know we don't have a lot of it in our supermarkets here I will try and get some grass seeds and grow some for them. How about aloe vera plant can they eat that ? The weeds mix is growing but slowly I am going to move it outside to get some sun as its hot all year round here and now its cooling down the kids are preparing their little vegetable garden to grow a few things and Omar wants to grow some plants his tortoise will like.

The bathing seems to help with their skin which now looks much more soft then dry. I have bird vitamins from last year as We needed them as many baby sparrows fell from their nest and we took them in to feed till they were big enough to be released. Their color of their shells have improved dramatically from when we first got them and they were a very pale yellow green color . The lamp at the rays has really brighten up their shell and markings.

Omar and Emma

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
It's always reassuring when you see them comfortable, eating, and happy! Good luck!! :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Well soon you will have to post new pics.
Yes, Aloe vera is safe. So is the 'spider plant' (not sure what it would be called there). You can sprout just about any tort safe plant in a shallow tray, even something that eventually get large, like Rose of Sharon), they will eat them small or large. You can start a new tray every 2 weeks and have several going at once. Perhaps Omar can have a 'flower and weed garden' outside this year for his torts! ;)
Here is another site so you can check and see if a plant is safe:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp.
Your torts' lives have greatly improved!

Status
Not open for further replies.