Bubble coming out of hatchling nose

Reptilony

Location (City and/or State)
QC, CAN
I saw my 10 months old sully making bubles with her nose. Doesn that mean she has an R.I ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not always most times not. Raise the temp to 85 day and night. Do not let temp go below 85. Still provide the 95-100 basking area.
The higher temp usually will clear this up. Be sure to keep soaking just keeping her warm the whole time.
Keep this up for at least a week. If she gets worse let us know and possibly see a vet.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Ok thanks for your quick response im worried about her. She always makes a sound when she hides in her shell and sometimes when im in bed and its silent I can hear her make a wistling sound for 2 or 3 breath. I’ve read that R.I’s can comeback for the lifetime of the animal even with antibiotics and that it can be more dangerous giving medication than not giving it. Also it could be a sexual disease and there aint much exotic vet where i live. There might not even be any vet specialized in tortoises has there is only a few torts living in the whole country. I will do as you say for the temps but the night temps where pretty much 85 already. I’ll also stop soaking her outside of her enclosure which I started doing two days ago in an attempt to make her less scared of me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They all make a little noise when they pull into their shell.
They are more prone to RI once they have had one. Its important too always have their temps correct and not too cold. If I had a tortoise that had an RI I would always keeps its temps 5 degrees higher then recommended. Then always raise them when you see running nose.
Be sure to try and figure out why the runny nose even if it turns out too be just a running nose. Either she was getting cold with the soaks as you were removing her. You fixed that or there us a cold spot in her enclosure that needs to be found and fixed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I saw my 10 months old sully making bubles with her nose. Doesn that mean she has an R.I ?
Do you have a closed chamber or an open topped enclosure? What is the overnight low? How are you maintaining ambient and night temps?

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Do you have a closed chamber or an open topped enclosure? What is the overnight low? How are you maintaining ambient and night temps?
I have a closed chamber but there is also a place where she can go out at room temperature. Im maintaining ambient and night temps with a thermostat with the probe at the corner of the chamber far away from the che. For the last month I set the inkbird to 85 with a degree variation so when it hits 82 it starts until it reaches 85 again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a closed chamber but there is also a place where she can go out at room temperature. Im maintaining ambient and night temps with a thermostat with the probe at the corner of the chamber far away from the che. For the last month I set the inkbird to 85 with a degree variation so when it hits 82 it starts until it reaches 85 again.
That all sounds good except for the room temp part. RIs are almost always caused by cool temps. usually at night.

I'd make it so that no part of the enclosure drops below 85-90 day or night for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
That all sounds good except for the room temp part. RIs are almost always caused by cool temps. usually at night.

I'd make it so that no part of the enclosure drops below 85-90 day or night for at least two weeks after symptoms disappear.
Ok Im gomma have to figure that out has I wanted to make a new bigger and improved closed chamber in two months but it looks like im gonna have to improvise. Are you saying an R.I can be cured without antibiotics?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok Im gomma have to figure that out has I wanted to make a new bigger and improved closed chamber in two months but it looks like im gonna have to improvise. Are you saying an R.I can be cured without antibiotics?
Yes. Antibiotics only treat the symptoms. It is a constant complaint of mine that some vets just treat the symptoms and never address the CAUSE of the symptoms. Tortoises don't just get sick for no reason. Something happens to make them sick. That something needs to be discovered and corrected, or treating the symptoms is futile.

When caught early, and the cause of the problem (cold temps) is corrected, it will usually halt the onset of an RI and make all the symptoms go away. Keep this tropical species warm enough is always a challenge in colder climates. Where they come from it is all hot all the time. Most days year round are near 100 degrees. Ground temps where they burrow are between 80 and 85 all the time, year round. There is no 65-70 degrees in the wild for sulcatas. Some of them seem to be able to tolerate colder temps some of the time in our temperate climate in our captive enclosures and survive, but many of them get sick and die when temps are too cool.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Yes. Antibiotics only treat the symptoms. It is a constant complaint of mine that some vets just treat the symptoms and never address the CAUSE of the symptoms. Tortoises don't just get sick for no reason. Something happens to make them sick. That something needs to be discovered and corrected, or treating the symptoms is futile.

When caught early, and the cause of the problem (cold temps) is corrected, it will usually halt the onset of an RI and make all the symptoms go away. Keep this tropical species warm enough is always a challenge in colder climates. Where they come from it is all hot all the time. Most days year round are near 100 degrees. Ground temps where they burrow are between 80 and 85 all the time, year round. There is no 65-70 degrees in the wild for sulcatas. Some of them seem to be able to tolerate colder temps some of the time in our temperate climate in our captive enclosures and survive, but many of them get sick and die when temps are too cool.
Yes I know how it can be hard to maintain to proper temps where I live but I can do it i've just been stupid. I figured that if she has acces to the correct temps she would be fine because has soon has she think it's too cold she can comeback inside for heat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not all runny noses are an RI. Caught early it's more like just a cold. Temps being raised and maintained for a while can clear up the symptoms and stop it from going into an RI.
I'm not sure @Tom, correct me if jm wrong, us saying a true full on RI can be cured without antibiotics but, that it can be stopped from becoming an RI.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I know how it can be hard to maintain to proper temps where I live but I can do it i've just been stupid. I figured that if she has acces to the correct temps she would be fine because has soon has she think it's too cold she can comeback inside for heat.
Unfortunately, tortoises don't have that capacity for logic. Where they come from, the temperature is never too cold, so wherever they park themselves, for whatever reason, the temperature is always okay. On another continent with a totally different climate, they simply don't have the capacity to figure this out.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Unfortunately, tortoises don't have that capacity for logic. Where they come from, the temperature is never too cold, so wherever they park themselves, for whatever reason, the temperature is always okay. On another continent with a totally different climate, they simply don't have the capacity to figure this out.
ok I understand. So let's say she's an adult and it's summer time here, what minimal temperature can I let her roam outside?