Bubbles out of nose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
I know bubbles out of the nose is usually a bad sign. But I'm curious. My tortoise just had his first ever bubbles coming out of his nose but he was just eating cactus. And when I felt them they were slimy feeling. Do you think this was because he had just ate some? Or could he really be sick? Nothing else seems to be wrong with him. And I'm sorry if this was already answered i just wanted to figure it out quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cactus is a slimey mess and its certainly possible that the bubble was just some cactus slime on his face.

Just to be safe, what are your four temps? What are you using for night heat?

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Well he was outside all morning and it was about 80-85 out. He hasn't shown signs of being sick. I'm thinking it was just the cactus cause his face was in it.

I couldn't tell which nostril or if it were both because he's so tiny.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I mean indoor temps. Or does he stay outside full time?

When I see any possible sign of RI, it makes me want to check all my temps and verify everything is all good. Night temps seem to be the most common culprit in RI cases.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Tom said:
I mean indoor temps. Or does he stay outside full time?

When I see any possible sign of RI, it makes me want to check all my temps and verify everything is all good. Night temps seem to be the most common culprit in RI cases.

He is usually outside once it gets warm enough. But the last two nights he's been in a different habitat while his is under construction. He has a heat lamp on one side of it that i can't remember the brand of at the moment. But the temps seem to be the same in both habitats.

Ruchonnet said:
He is usually outside once it gets warm enough. But the last two nights he's been in a different habitat while his is under construction. He has a heat lamp on one side of it that i can't remember the brand of at the moment. But the temps seem to be the same in both habitats.

And I'm not sure of his temps the last two nights because his temp. Home doesn't have a theomonitor.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
I know :( he should be back to his old one by tomorrow! I had to make improvements to it since it wasn't holding the moisture properly!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If he's gotten a chill over the last two nights, the bubbles very well could be a sign of an RI. Make sure he stays good and warm tonight and very night and check your temps tonight too.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Tom said:
If he's gotten a chill over the last two nights, the bubbles very well could be a sign of an RI. Make sure he stays good and warm tonight and very night and check your temps tonight too.

Okay I've been checking on him a lot more since he's been in there because I am scared he's going to be cold but he seems to be staying warm. And he is in the warm sun while it's hot. I'll check them tonight again and make sure everything is okay! The bubbles seemed to be going away after I wiped his face a couple of times. Which he wasn't happy about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think its good that you pay such close attention to the details and are so "tuned in" to him. That is what will help you get him to old age.

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Tom said:
I think its good that you pay such close attention to the details and are so "tuned in" to him. That is what will help you get him to old age.

I try. I messed up so much his first year so I'm trying to make sure he isn't messed up cause of me forever. Another question, I could probably just look it up but I want him to be outside all the time, but it gets down in the 50-60 range at night. Could he be out there if I had a lamp and or heating pad? Or is it still too cold for his little body? I think it's too chilly. But I'm no expert.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer to let little ones sleep inside until they are 8-10" or so. In theory, as long as you have a safe temp controlled area for them to sleep in, they can stay outside all the time. I just feel better about them being inside with me until they get a little bigger.

When the time comes, you will have to build some sort of structure and then decide how best to heat it. My ideas about this have evolved a lot over the years. There is not necessarily a right or wrong way to do it, and every one must customize things a bit for their situation.

Here's one example:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz23poCkdHy

And another:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Daisy-s-New-Enclosure#axzz1bv5qbbcz

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
I really like that one! My dad constructed the one he's in right now and will most likely make the outdoor one! I think I'll keep him inside Until hes bigger. I'm a little paranoid if you haven't noticed haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.