Bucket list destination- Galapagos

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Why baboons, Tom? What I have seen and read of them seems scary. But I have to admit that apes in general are my least favourite animals, maybe because they are so much like humans, but aren't.
Because they are extremely intelligent and their societies and "rules" just make sense to me. I could write a book about why I love them so much. I've personally worked closely with a few of them over the years, and there is just nothing like them. I could write a whole book about why I like them. If you are interested, look up a look called "Almost Human", by Shirley Strum. She is the Jane Goodall of baboons. Nothing compares to putting your hands on one, hanging out and going for walks, or training a baboon, but the book gives lots of insight. You will look at them differently after you read it. I got to hang out with wild ones in South Africa in 2005. Yes, they can be "aggressive" but only within a certain frame work that is totally and easily understandable. They don't just randomly attack like some animals. I was able to walk around and share space with a large troop of Chacmas without incident one afternoon. It was magical.

The locals over there completely misunderstand them and are terrified of them because of their ignorance. My South African girlfriend was with me and she was terrified the whole time. I told her what to do and just following my instructions, even though she had no experience with them at all, kept her safe and the baboons ignored her. I think they were ready to take me in as one of their own! Too much to type, but man, what an experience!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Because they are extremely intelligent and their societies and "rules" just make sense to me. I could write a book about why I love them so much. I've personally worked closely with a few of them over the years, and there is just nothing like them. I could write a whole book about why I like them. If you are interested, look up a look called "Almost Human", by Shirley Strum. She is the Jane Goodall of baboons. Nothing compares to putting your hands on one, hanging out and going for walks, or training a baboon, but the book gives lots of insight. You will look at them differently after you read it. I got to hang out with wild ones in South Africa in 2005. Yes, they can be "aggressive" but only within a certain frame work that is totally and easily understandable. They don't just randomly attack like some animals. I was able to walk around and share space with a large troop of Chacmas without incident one afternoon. It was magical.

The locals over there completely misunderstand them and are terrified of them because of their ignorance. My South African girlfriend was with me and she was terrified the whole time. I told her what to do and just following my instructions, even though she had no experience with them at all, kept her safe and the baboons ignored her. I think they were ready to take me in as one of their own! Too much to type, but man, what an experience!
I appreciate this. Now I am more curious about them and will try to change my attitude. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wish you had a picture! I would LOVE it if it were true because that means there is hope that I could someday legally get one, or a breeding group.
I wish I did too. Unfortunately they aren't in business any more.