bud has a sore foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

missy123

5 Year Member
i have a 5 year old hermans tortoise named buddy he is healthy and eating well very stong too! i have noticed tonight there was some blood spots in his terainium and on closer inspection of his feet he has worn down the skin on his foot and nail! rear feet that is. i have bathed him and given him some plasters to stop him hurting them again but i have no idea what i am to do now! will the skin grow back will his nail fall off is the plasters and fingers from a glove for waterproofing a good idea! i really have no idea how i am to react in the situation ive encounterd a lot of problems with him befor but this is a strange on for me he lloks like hes walking on the side of his foot! is this natural too? please please help.... o one last thing he has been (shedding) flaking think layers of skin for sevral years now too will this keep on going till he is fully grown or does it sound more like a skin infection thou it dosent bother him.. cheers

vicky

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Vicky:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

You can treat that toenail just as you would treat your own toe nail if it had happened to you. Plain old first aid.

May we know where you are?

Now you need to see if you can remedy the reason why this happened.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D We LOVE PICS :p

Well, what type of enclosure do you have for him? What type of substrate are you using in his enclosure? How deep is the substrate? Is he housed alone? What is his diet like? So both rear legs? how does he move/walk---I mean when he walks does it look like he is level up on all four feet or does he slant downward in the back when he moves? What type of natural light does he receive and or what type of artificial uv ray bulbs do you offer him along with what type of heating bulb/source do you offer him? What is his diet like, perhaps he is lacking in nutrition and his feet are showing that deficiency ?

Okay, I will stop asking questions till you have a chance to share a bit more about your husbandry for buddy.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.