Buddy’s

Bunny2746

Location (City and/or State)
Panhandlle of Florida
I hear so often that they are solitary and don’t need a buddy. Mine are always hanging out and sleeping together. The wild ones in my yard do the same.

D053E459-70AE-4184-A661-FA1F5517DDC5.jpeg

daniellenc

Maryland
They are three ,two and one and it was meant to be a happy post.
Just being pointed out it’s not ideal don’t be offended. Turtles and tortoises aren’t herd animals. We as humans are inclined to seek companionship and mistake sleeping and eating together as such. It is not the case. Groups can be kept together but it’s not their ideal living situation.

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
I am not offended what so ever. I understand your concerns , like I said it was a happy post, merely an observation just like the thought that turtles are slow. And if they were in a small habitat inside I would be concerned but they are outside in a large pen thriving in the heat humidity and rain!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The little one is competing with the adults? Come on, even baby turtles are not THAT stupid. :confused:
It looks like maybe in that photo, they might be clamoring for the same spot in the patch of sunlight. (Just a theory from the photo provided) Maybe it's the adults pushing away the baby.
And in my experience, it's not always the largest animal that is the boss. My 3 year old female ruled the pen back when I kept 7 animals. All twice her size.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a nice looking group of box turtles you have there. And you're so lucky to have wild ones going through your yard!

daniellenc

Maryland
Have you done any research at all? Groups can be kept together sometimes but not always and separation is often necessary. However babies and adults never should and neither should pairs. They will compete for space and food with the result being very stressful and sometimes deadly.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are we assuming that the O.P. doesn't have a gigantic outdoor enclosure?
A lot has been assumed from so little information. And this is the first time I've seen the photo.
(Thanks 2G)

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
That's a nice looking group of box turtles you have there. And you're so lucky to have wild ones going through your yard!
Thank you! Any thoughts on how old this one might be? He wandered into the yard last week and was mating with two of the gals that come and go from the yard. I’m hoping there will be babies, not that I will see them but its still exciting. And also what kind of turtle babies will they be if he’s a gulf coast and the others I’m thinking are eastern?

Attachments

• D23DE4DB-AF0F-4E8E-B191-004886A36002.jpeg
    D23DE4DB-AF0F-4E8E-B191-004886A36002.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

Bunny2746

Panhandlle of Florida
Thank you! Any thoughts on how old this one might be? He wandered into the yard last week and was mating with two of the gals that come and go from the yard. I’m hoping there will be babies, not that I will see them but its still exciting. And also what kind of turtle babies will they be if he’s a gulf coast and the others I’m thinking are eastern?
Obviously they will be half and half but I wondered if one was dominant , like coloring?