Budgeting for an outdoor night box- ideas on size and cost?

chaseswife

5 Year Member
My sulcatta, Shrimp, is just about big enough to be outdoors all the time. I just need to build him a heated night box. I want to do it right, quality build with enough space that I only have to do this once. I plan on basing it off of @Tom 's idea that he has posted severally versions of. The problem I am having is how big do I need to make it for 1 sulcatta and how much do I need to budget for it? I am not focusing on the heating elements yet- those are much easier to find prices for online. My husband has agreed to help build it, so labor is covered. I just need to budget for all the building materials.

So- what size and how much to have saved up. Any ideas?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
4x4x2' will serve a single sulcata its whole life. I make the doors 26x16" for adults. There are a small percentage of very large males that might need a bigger door, but this size will serve 99% of all sulcatas.

For all your plywood, framing 2x4s and 2x3s, 2x2s for the lid, insulation, silicone sealant, paint and primer, deck screws, and hinges and latches, you'll spend about $200. I have the hardware store cut two plywood sheets into 4x4 pieces for the roof and floor and two into 2x8 pieces for the walls.

I paint the outside, but not the inside. I use a plain untreated plywood floor and put a layer of dirt on it for easier clean up.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
Thanks @Tom ! That is exactly what I needed to know. Shrimp is about 7 inches now and around 3 pounds. He is outside during the day and is not happy anymore with our indoor enclosure. Hopefully we can get him outside full time in the next month.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks @Tom ! That is exactly what I needed to know. Shrimp is about 7 inches now and around 3 pounds. He is outside during the day and is not happy anymore with our indoor enclosure. Hopefully we can get him outside full time in the next month.

I'm just curious. I don't remember where in the country you are, and what size is your indoor enclosure?

Its right around this size that I really start feeling like they are getting crowded even in their indoor 4x8' enclosures. They are just so active at this size. Even in 30x30' outdoor pens, they explore and move around constantly.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I am in Arizona. He has a 15x20 area of our yard sectioned off right now, prepared to go bigger as he grows. Indoor is 4x3, I know it is too small. I try to have him inside as little as possible- especially now that it is February and feels like spring. January was hard for us- colder than me and Shrimp like.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Be sure to get exterior grade plywood. It will last much longer as the glues they use are water resistant. Even though you paint the outside it does make a difference going with exterior grade. I use 1/2" and it still ends up pretty heavy when you're done!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be sure to get exterior grade plywood. It will last much longer as the glues they use are water resistant. Even though you paint the outside it does make a difference going with exterior grade. I use 1/2" and it still ends up pretty heavy when you're done!

Not to contradict, but others have different experiences in different parts of the country. Just making friendly tortoise conversation here now…

Wood just does not rot here. I think AZ is similar too. It is usually SOOOOOOOO dry all the time that wood just lasts forever. I use the thinner 11/32 regular plywood because it makes the boxes much lighter when you have to move them, and it last for years and years here. Even in the ground wood lasts for decades here. Anyone in FL or the PNW would probably agree with your suggestions, but I find it unnecessary here.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'd add a bit more detail to the inside. Personal preference here and just sharing more options you can consider.

I lined the bottom plywood with vinyl flooring and caulked the seams. I also went 6" up the side (should have gone higher) so I can keep damp substrate in my box. I have found that this keeps a nice moderate humidity level. Higher humidity can be achieved easy enough, too.
I use the mini oil filled radiator and have it sectioned off from the substrate though.

I don't think you could consider this if you decide to use a Kane mat.