Bufo Bufo egg help please...I need you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
Well as many off you may know, i acquired some common toad eggs-(Bufo Bufo) from my local reservoir! I was there the day they was laid as i went the day before...empty...i went the next day and tons off eggs :) I also let a common toad go when acquiring these eggs to make space.
So the eggs are in my bedroom as they ''Incubate'' alot faster in a warmer are, so they are at room temperature...
Ive' had them in a container off spring water for 5 days now and they have changed...i must admit...this is how they looked when collected..
T2.png

i went to the same reservoir today to check the stage the eggs are in naturally...this is how they looked...
T1.png

A sort off hour glass shape!
Mine have done this stage and then they turned into these....
T3.png

there are some really large grey ones...theyre are some thin slits like cats eyes theyre some look bubbly and some have little things flicking of like the letter ''Q'' ! do these look healthy?
Also...
when i added the eggs to the water 5 days ago it looked like this (we are looking at the water in this picture)...
water.png

But on the 5th day the water looked like this..
dirt.png

So i got the eggs out and done a 100% water change...i put the eggs back in and it looked not much better and was grey again. So i think it is the jelly that is dirty? Why will this hurt the eggs? and doing this water change i lost a few eggs.. :( Poor tads... Im more worried about this dirty water not seeing the tadpoles when they hatch? but i can see to the bottom slightly so i hope this is not a problem? Help ALSO!
WHEN WILL THESE EGGS HATCH. I CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER!!

p.s- Im not pushing the boat out no filters etc posh tanks...large containers and spring water... i have had success raising the tadpoles before...Any help welcome!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Tyler! I know nothingabout this...but just wishing the little wigglers lots of luck and wishing you patience...:D

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
If they look like misshapen blobs they will probably hatch in 2-3 weeks, if some of the eggs are a grayish white inside they are probably infertile, it shouldn't compromise the other eggs. I'm sorry but I have no idea why the water would be going nasty :( good luck with the toadlets!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It could take up to 12+ days for the eggs to hatch. I can't help with the water color, I have not had to deal with that.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
You probably do need some type of air pump to refresh oxygen in the water. Filtration would help too. Without those two things, you will probably need to do daily water changes with dechlorinated water.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Neltharion said:
You probably do need some type of air pump to refresh oxygen in the water. Filtration would help too. Without those two things, you will probably need to do daily water changes with dechlorinated water.

I was just thinking about the dechlorinated water. we have bottles that sit for days that we use for water changes...

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Well toaday (see what i did there)...I put almost all the toad eggs in friends pond and i kept 45-50...which is a strand about 7cm long... more than enough....i put them in a slightly smaller container. and freshwater in my bedroom! :D To exciting they are in the stage off the hourglass shape, (picture #2 of original post)
And are definetley arrived i hand picked them personally...here are a few pics from today!! :D

This is what i meant by the water turning grey..
IMG00254-20120406-0933.jpg

The chosen ones...
IMG00255-20120406-1543.jpg

The eggs home...
IMG00256-20120406-1543.jpg

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
i say about 25cm x 25cm.....the lid the eggs are on is not the one for the tub..and this container is just for egg uncubation and first day of tadpole life then off to the 10gallon they go! :)

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
tyler0912 said:
i say about 25cm x 25cm.....the lid the eggs are on is not the one for the tub..and this container is just for egg uncubation and first day of tadpole life then off to the 10gallon they go! :)

Okay :) I was going to say if it was a small container it might be to blame for the bad water, but that sounds like a good size for the eggs.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I think that was the reason...overcrowding i had about 400 eggs... i now have about 50 :) Thanks for your help! :p

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
tyler0912 said:
I think that was the reason...overcrowding i had about 400 eggs... i now have about 50 :) Thanks for your help! :p

Your welcome! I have two pet Bufo Boreas, I know the panic/excitement your going through.

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
tyler0912 said:
Ahh, a western toad...Right?

And yes too exciting! :D

Yes, they're pretty similar to Bufo Bufo. Different colorations though, most of the common toads I've seen are just brown

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
i thought...haha, common toads here are green (males) and females are more a grey colour with brown spots! :p :)
Here are a few pictures i caught off wild Bufo Bufo mating...

IMG00245-20120324-1438.jpg

IMG00246-20120324-1438.jpg

IMG00247-20120324-1438.jpg
]
Male Bufo Bufo:
IMG00241-20120316-1715.jpg

IMG00248-20120324-1442.jpg

Female Bufo bufo:
IMG00249-20120324-1445.jpg

The outcome off these mating balls...
IMG00252-20120401-1756.jpg

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
That is ridiculously cool. The toads where I live are so rare that I haven't seen a wild adult since I was 10 or 11, my two are nearly full grown, hopefully I'll have eggs to release next year. The colors are considerably different then Prince and Bean, apparently us westerners are wartier!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
haha, it is great you nearly stand on them, in the breeding season theres is thousands! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.