Bugatti has to fly from Houston to New York - I worry!!!

Plushkins

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hello from Bugatti and Lina :) Bu has to fly (Delta) from Houston to New York (with one stopover in Detroit) next Saturday, March 2nd. Any advice on how best to package the little guy? He's 354 grams = about .8 lbs, 6" long, 4" wide, and 2" tall. He may not travel in the cabin, so naturally I worry. Any advice on a container, container contents, and air travel generally? He has a health certificate and an acclimation statement, so his paperwork is in order :) Manymany thanks for any information and help!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its too cold and too risky to do it right now. I'd wait until spring.

Are you shipping him cargo? If yes, find a direct flight, or wait until spring. If Delta doesn't have a direct flight, check with American or United. A layover and plane change in Detroit is too risky in the dead of winter.

You'll need to order a large styro lined box and you'll need some 60 hour heat packs. I use Reptiles2you.com for shipping and I have nothing but good to say about them. Will told me about them and I've been very happy with their service. I mention this option as a way to overnight ship, and because they also sell shipping supplies. Cargo would have the tortoise out of your hands for a shorter time, but no layovers.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not ship now either. Way too cold and bad weather on and off delaying flights all the time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you have any way of not shipping him until later I would wait till temps are at least mid to upper 50's with no lay over and no night flying.

TortoiseRacket

New York
45 is too cold. Heat packs still needed and depending on the length of the lay over and time of day or night of that lay over 45 cold turn into 30.
Oops, I didn’t make myself clear. With a heat pack or two, and 45 would be the lowest temp. Sorry about that!