Bugs and traveling with a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

applemcdandy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I guess I will start a new thread since this got buried at the end of my other one. With all the research, I'm coming up with new questions to add to my "Do's & Don't" binder. This is proving useful for compiling information before I take the plunge into ownership!

I tend to go on several trips to northern Wisconsin in the summer to stay at my parents cabin. These trips are roughly 4 hours each way and I stay for 4 or more days at a time. The other animals go into boarding if I'm gone more than just a weekend, but I don't feel safe leaving a sulcata with a boarder, even if it is my vet. My parents cabin is on 42 acres of grassland with lots of pines and other trees. It also can get very warm and humid in summer. To me, this is a super tortoise vacation destination. Not only can a tort run about safely in a fenced area but I can keep an eye out just in case anything were to go wrong. Onto the questions:

1. Do ticks pose any threat to tortoises? There tends to be no shortage of those, biting flies and mosquitos.

2. Four hours is a long drive. If I could keep the transport carrier warm(at least 75) and by a window for the duration, would the stress to the tortoise be minimal? I know it's ideal to just leave the tortoise at home, but as I stated above, I'd be happier if I were keeping an eye on it myself in the beginning.

3. We use a lot of insect repellent due to the mosquitos and stuff. I would be doing my very best to keep clean and not handle the tortoise before washing up/changing out of deet soaked clothing. How harmful would traces of bug repellent be as long as it doesn't get on the facial area?

There are a few vets, but none within an hour drive from the cabin that handle tortoises. It's fairly backwoods and the close towns are mostly tourist oriented.

Just for clarity, here is part of the front yard of my parents cabin. Lots and lots of wild grasses, dandelion and clover.
17936406_0cf8c723e0_o.jpg

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
The ticks and other ectoparasites in N. Wisconsin would be no problem for a tort being that they adapted for feeding on warmblooded animals. Traveling for four hours in a dark warm kennel would just probably be sleep time for the tort though I wouldn't place carrier by window because of sun heating up carrier. I'm not sure of effect of chemicals in repellent on a tort, so better safe than sorry. With a secure enclosure the area looks like it could be a good vacation for the tort. Just suggest that he spents the nite inside (bears would consider him a rare treat).

applemcdandy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah, he/she would definitely be brought inside for the night or if we head into town or go out fishing. There are bears, coyotes, raccoons, etc. so I'd never leave it unsupervised. Maybe once it reaches full size I won't have to worry about spending seven hours mowing the lawn every trip up there ;)

shannon74

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
OK - sorry I have been away from a few days! I wanted to let you know that I travel once a month with my tort. He has been doing it since I got him. I have never seen signs of distress. I bought a power strip that fits into the lighter in the car so he can stay with a heat lamp during the trip. He normally hides in his log during the trip, but as soon as we arrive he is out and exploring. I would rather travel with him, than worry the whole time I am gone.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Your tortoise should love it there, I know mine would. It looks nice there.
My 9 month old tortoise loves truck rides. He goes for a ride with me twice a week in my truck. He sits next to me in his carrier. His carrier is made out of a mesh that has a plastic coating so it doesn't get hot, and I can see him to make sure he is doing good and he can see out any direction that he wants to. He can be sleeping, but once I put him in the truck and start it up, he will wake up and look around.

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.