Bugs in Dale's enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
Now that I listened to my husband I have bugs in Dales enclosure. I wanted to use the smelly organic soil, but my husband couldn't stand the smell for a few days so we bought something else and now "Dale has bugs in his new enclosure". Little pesky flying bugs and they're getting worse. What I want to know is if I go to Whole Foods and buy the organic spray (that kills bugs) for plants will it hurt Dale? I can move him to his old enclosure for a few days (as it's still in the boys room) if you guys think that the spray might hurt him. His new enclosure is 2 1/2 feet x 6 feet so that's a lot of dirt and work if I'd have to replace it. I'm hoping the spray would work best. Let me know what your opinions or experiences are. I'll be looking forward to reading them. :)

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
If you think the bugs are being produced in the enclosure, drying out the surface will limit how much they're able to breed (assuming it's gnats). If the bugs came in with the dirt, it's pretty hard to get rid of them at this point unless you're able to bake it (or microwave it, if it's a smaller amount). Either will will kill bugs and bug eggs. You may start by adding 1/2" to 1" of cypress on top of your current substrate, which will typically dry out the surface a bit as well as limit the ability of them to reproduce. A fan blowing across the enclosure will also make life miserable for any small flying bugs in the area.

I personally don't use or wouldn't use any "sprays." They might work or they might not, but that's kinda "cheating" anyways. When I was doing my garden pond, I was unable to keep it from growing string algae in the full desert sun, and instead of cheating by adding chlorine or chemicals, I filled in the pond with dirt :)

This is a war against nature you can win.

chadk

10 Year Member!
If they are fruit flies, you can put out a glass or jar with a 1/2 cup or so of apple cider vinegar and then just a drop of liquid dish soap. You'd be amazed at how fast it will attract and drown all the fruit flies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
chadk said:
If they are fruit flies, you can put out a glass or jar with a 1/2 cup or so of apple cider vinegar and then just a drop of liquid dish soap. You'd be amazed at how fast it will attract and drown all the fruit flies.

I hate those little buggers! Thanks for the tip; I shall try it next time we have an infestation (usually soon after I bring various fruit home from the grocery store)!;)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Nelson has some gnat-like bugs in his enclosure. I try not to worry about it too much because they don't seem to bother him.
Although there aren't many bugs...I guess I would be worried if there were a lot!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Why don't the bugs like cypress?

It's not that they don't like cypress, just that the cypress dries out more than most single substrates will on the surface, and a dry surface is key to keeping gnats from breeding in the soil.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thanks Tyler I think I'm going to remove a section of the soil and redo it with just the mulch and see what happens. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Laura said:
Get a gecko...:)
Not only will he eat bugs but he can save you 15% on your car insurance. Seriously if they are flying bugs, what about those hanging fly strips?

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Geckos chirp "gecko" in the mornings. Maybe the lizards and torts can co-habitate? Now you'll have to have a cage lid.

Another anti-Fly remedy is tobacco, soap and water. Soak some from a cigarette in some water in a lid or something. Leave on the counter.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
That is very interesting. Do the bugs not like the smell?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
Laura said:
Get a gecko...:)
Not only will he eat bugs but he can save you 15% on your car insurance.

LOL!!! I don't know how I missed this the first time around. This one really, really made me laugh! Thanks for that.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
chadk said:

I hadn't heard this one and will have to give it a try. With all my Hingebacks, it seems I always have fruit flies around. :( I know they are attracted to my dishpan, if I leave it all bubbly with dishsoap and water.

moonraser

5 Year Member
Why not try to add one of those carnivore plants? Put a flower put up side down and put the plant on top of the flower pot so Dale can’t touch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.