Bugs in enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, Az
I just put some more soil and moss in my torts soon-to-be new enclosure to make the humid hide. I noticed a few small bugs in the dirt after i mixed it all in. I think it was from the moss because I noticed them inside the humid hide and I've never seen them anywhere before (I don't use moss anywhere else but the humid hide). Are these going to be a problem? They are very small oval shaped white bugs. I only saw maybe 5 or 6 and I killed all the ones that I could, but I think one or two may have gotten away, and who knows how many were hidden.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think they will be an issue for your tortoise, I think they bother us humans more.. I would keep an eye on it...

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Most likely won't harm the tort.You can kill them with diatomaceous earth,sprinkled on the substrate.

The Adjustor

5 Year Member
Tucson, Az
jackrat said:
Most likely won't harm the tort.You can kill them with diatomaceous earth,sprinkled on the substrate.

Thanks for that tip. I don't expect it to become a problem, but if I keep noticing them I might try that.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
From the description, they're most likely collembolans and/or fungus knats, both are common detritivores and should be harmless to you and your tort/torti.

stuntdouble

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, Ca
Just a side note that diatomaceous earth (DE) is bad for respiratory systems so apply when they are not around and spray to keep dust down but, they're probably fine I have the same prob. I just take their food out after while too seems to help a little. I wouldn't risk a respiratory infection I just live with it

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
we get those a lot in the moss used in our ectotherm habitats (mostly frog habs), they shouldn't hurt your torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.