Bugs...

Amazemollz

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
So I have had my sulcata just over a year. His tank, yes tank he's too small to be outdoors, is I believe organic topsoil. I am not sure what it's mixed with if anything (a very knowledgeable reptile keeper friend of mine did the substrate for me). I have not ever needed to change it out. But just now I found little buggies in the substrate. I did some digging on here and in one post where the pictures seem to be the exact bug, the poster was told it was springtails. But I am not so sure. I just need to know if these are harmless or harmful to my tortoise. He hasn't seen bothered at all. And I have never seen a bug on him.

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_083619__01.jpg
    IMG_20200921_083619__01.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20200921-095634.jpg
    Screenshot_20200921-095634.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 15

nicoleann2214

Location (City and/or State)
NY
So I have had my sulcata just over a year. His tank, yes tank he's too small to be outdoors, is I believe organic topsoil. I am not sure what it's mixed with if anything (a very knowledgeable reptile keeper friend of mine did the substrate for me). I have not ever needed to change it out. But just now I found little buggies in the substrate. I did some digging on here and in one post where the pictures seem to be the exact bug, the poster was told it was springtails. But I am not so sure. I just need to know if these are harmless or harmful to my tortoise. He hasn't seen bothered at all. And I have never seen a bug on him.
I don’t think those are spring tails. @Tom can help you out. You should switch your top soil for orchid bark, cypress mulch or coco choir. To my knowledge soil isn’t the best substrate..