Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpezz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hi,
I am a new member to this forum, but have been reading it for a while and it has helped me a lot. I have been an animal lover and rescuer (and a turtle/ tortoise enthusiast )for as long as i can remember. I have recently acquired my first Sulcata from a very nice (somewhat misguided) woman who could no longer care for him. We named him Hercules, he is about 8 yrs old and adjusting to us very nicely. He was being kept in an apartment and not getting a proper diet. He is now eating the right foods going out regularly to bask and graze and I am in the process of building his indoor / outdoor enclosure. Now here is my Question (and I don't know if I'm posting this in the right spot) we live in Pennsylvania and this year ants and ticks have been especially bad, I imagine the ticks wont bother him because of his thick skin and lack of hair, but will the ants or any other type of PA insects harm him or become an issue?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO And ticks go to soft skin and torts do have soft skin by the shell and ants can also bite torts there

Jpezz

5 Year Member
PA
Thanks, I will have to research how to get rid of ants without chemicals, although I haven't seen many in the area his enclosure will be in

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
I've always heard that ticks can and will attach to torts - be careful!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Ants don't like cornstarch but don't put it on the nest put it around the nest and if it rains after the area drys reapply it

Jpezz

5 Year Member
PA
thank you i will try that

Jpezz

5 Year Member
PA
Thanks I actually just found out about that this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.