Bugs?

thatkiidsean

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I am getting a Red Foot Tortoise and I am wondering since the humidity has to be kept at a certain level and I plan on using cocoir fiber and repti bark but I am scared that little bus will also make it its home if that is true how do I prevent them and how do I get rid of them? Ill have live plants in the enclosure

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have zero bug problems with coco coir. I had fungas gnats from hell when I used partial organic garden soil for my boxie though. It was awful. I guess the eggs where in the soil and hatched by the thousands. It took a while to get rid of them.

Elohi(Earth)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
i haven't had any problems with bugs in coco coir and live plants i got ants in my enclosure once but they were coming from outside the enclosure i found where and stopped it no problems since then

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The only problem I have with coco coir is with fruit flies. They love that stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are several species of detrivorous flies that are present everywhere that will get into any damp substrate of any type. THe most common is phorid flies, but there are others too. These flies are harmless. The only safe way to prevent or get rid of them is to bake, boil or replace your substrate every two weeks or so. I don't bother. I just ignore them and leave them alone.

txturtledude

5 Year Member
DFW Area, Texas
There are several species of detrivorous flies that are present everywhere that will get into any damp substrate of any type. THe most common is phorid flies, but there are others too. These flies are harmless. The only safe way to prevent or get rid of them is to bake, boil or replace your substrate every two weeks or so. I don't bother. I just ignore them and leave them alone.

Phorid Flies are not harmless...if you're a fire ant! They strike you hard and fast and deposit an egg inside you. Meanwhile, the larvae grows inside you and it eventually decapitates you...after devouring your brain!