Building a Indoor Greenhouse Sulcata Inclosure

Jenny & Tort

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh PA
Using http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-mighty-odins-indoor-oasis-the-build.128248/ as an example I decided to build my own indoor sulcata inclosure. The base is made of plywood and 2 by 4's and the top of the enclosure is a greenhouse I bought on Amazon.com. My dad appears in a lot of my pictures, as he was helping me build the base of the enclosure. I defiantly could not have done it without him!
The greenhouse: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J04EXWI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
We already had the plywood, but had to buy 5 2by4's and 16 bolts and washers. Not very expensive.

Here are my beginning plans with measurements for the base and beautifully draw sketches by my dad.

upload_2016-6-21_0-15-39.png

The we cut all the lumber to the correct sizes and began the build!
upload_2016-6-21_0-17-46.png

Our cat hung out with us all day closely inspecting our work.
upload_2016-6-21_0-44-25.png

The main frame held together with bolts and screws. We weren't sure that the bolts were really necessary, but better safe than sorry so we thought they were best to use.
upload_2016-6-21_0-18-29.png

We put up these pieces to have something to screw the sides onto. After these were all in place I sanded everything, including the plywood walls which were not up yet, to get rid of splinters and sharp edges that might poke a hole in the lining.
upload_2016-6-21_0-18-52.png

Screwing the sides on.
upload_2016-6-21_0-19-24.png

He's thinks were making him a cat house! Maybe that will be our next project.
upload_2016-6-21_0-45-15.png

All the sides in place.

upload_2016-6-21_0-20-1.png

We added trim to help hold the greenhouse in place on the top of the base. And also because it looks pretty.
upload_2016-6-21_0-20-28.png

upload_2016-6-21_0-20-53.png

Checking to see how the greenhouse fits, it fits perfectly!
upload_2016-6-21_0-21-10.png

Finally we stapled in a tarp to line the inside of the box using the staple gun. The bricks are in the bottom to hold the tarp in place while we went around and stapled. We were originally planning on using black plastic to line our box but were worried about our tort scraping holes in it. We searched around at Walmart and found this heavy-duty brown/grey tarp, perfect size and the same price as the black plastic so we decided to get the tarp instead. Tarp size 6 by 8 ft.
upload_2016-6-21_0-22-39.png

While the construction was taking place we were also making some ribs in the smoker and I thought I'd share a picture of that as well to make you all jealous of my delicious dinner.
upload_2016-6-21_0-35-45.png

In all it took this build took about 4 hours. With breaks. I was also very slow using all the tools and it would have taken half the time if I was more experienced. I think its looking beautiful so far! I will upload more pictures once it is in my house, and full of dirt and plants for my tort!

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Lovely work. Is this just for nighttime or is this your main enclosure?
For right now it will be my main enclosure, I live in Western PA and I try to get my tortoise outside everyday but half the days its raining and the other half its too cold! I cant leave him outside in the rain currently because I am using a kiddie pool for his outdoor enclosure. We are soon going to sell our camper, and in the area it is located I am going to build him a much nicer and larger tortoise enclosure, then this will only be his nighttime enclosure.

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
You're going to lose a lot of temperature with your smoker open like that. ;)
Ha Ha! Yeah It was time to take them out, smother them in BBQ sauce and wrap them in foil, then they cooked for a few more hours on a lower temp. Delicious!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It looks great! Can't wait to see it decorated :)

Just a thought ..tarp is usually woven pieces that eventually shred and are not water proof. So, if that is the case you're wood won't be as protected as it would have been with the black plastic.

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
It looks great! Can't wait to see it decorated :)

Just a thought ..tarp is usually woven pieces that eventually shred and are not water proof. So, if that is the case you're wood won't be as protected as it would have been with the black plastic.
Yeah we thought of that but made sure to buy a tarp that was waterproof and got good reviews. A little more money but worth it!

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Got the enclosure in the house and set up today! My other cat Lilly approves!

upload_2016-6-22_16-12-8.png

So does my cat Gabby! (we have 4 cats in case you were wondering)
upload_2016-6-22_16-13-59.png

We used peat moss and coco coir for the substrate. Added a lot of water.
upload_2016-6-22_16-14-33.png

Places some plants, aloe, geraniums, and a nasturtium.
upload_2016-6-22_16-15-40.png

Then added the water bowl, food bowl, and some basking rocks.
upload_2016-6-22_16-17-18.png

Then added the greenhouse top!
upload_2016-6-22_16-18-17.png

Beautiful!
upload_2016-6-22_16-18-48.png

Exploring time!
upload_2016-6-22_16-19-17.png

Great humidity! Good temps! Basking spot-101 F Warm side- 90 F Cool side-82 F
upload_2016-6-22_16-19-33.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nice. What are the dimensions? I'm afraid it's not going to last long. Your sully is already a good size.
However, when he does need a larger enclosure, you must give this one to the cats. They seem to love it and I'm sure probably not real happy it's going to the tort

Jenny & Tort

Pittsburgh PA
Looks nice. What are the dimensions? I'm afraid it's not going to last long. Your sully is already a good size.
However, when he does need a larger enclosure, you must give this one to the cats. They seem to love it and I'm sure probably not real happy it's going to the tort
It's 4 feet long and 2 feet wide. It will have to do for now because thats all the room in my house I have for him! He will have a much larger outdoor enclosure soon so this will only be for sleeping in at night. I haven't heard him complain yet! My cats do love it but when tort is done with it it will probably just become a greenhouse. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you hear him complain, either your hearing things or you need to get him on the news. A talking tort would be worth millions:p:D